1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last House On The Left - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by lentini, May 27, 2003.

1. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Noticed this in Virgin the other day and was wondering if it's any good. My experience of 'previously banned' films are they turn out to be complete pants.

Oh, and I know the Region 2 is cut. :D

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    I've never liked this one, it's an uneasy mixture of rape and sexual humiliation (although as you already know, the worst bits have been cut), revenge, and slapstick backwoods lawmen that come across like the Keystone Cops. Unless you're really into this kind of 70's exploitation cinema then I wouldn't bother personally. The music, the performances, the direction... the whole thing's dreadful. But then I'm biased as I don't like it.

If you're even tempted to buy it then wait for the disc to drop down to around £7 at Play.com in the next couple of months, just like every other Anchor Bay release does.

3. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    Cheers Mr. J, I think I'll give this one a miss. I was gonna get the R1 version anyway but I don't think I'll bother.

4. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Not that good but ok ,
    Also like you said the Region 2 is Cut , and I would say not a
    Dvd buy

:D

5. stewh

stewh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although the R2 is cut I heard it was only a couple of seconds and does not detract from the film.

Personally I'm getting the R2 DVD as I've read a number of reviews that say the extras are superb. With these types of film I buy the DVDs for the extras that document the history of the film etc. Sama reason I bought the recent re-release of Texas Chainsaw with the great feature length documentary.

Apparently the short clip that is cut is available in a flip book form.

6. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm not going to buy this, but I might rent it out of curiosity. I believe the cut scenes have actually been included in the extras. :rolleyes:

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The BBFC cut 31 seconds that they deemed "...unacceptable for an 18 certificate..." so they're hardly likely to be included in the extras.

Had this on VHS years ago - wasn't impressed, but the Region 2 extras seem to be more interesting than the movie, so I'll probably wait for this to hit the bargain bins and grab it then.

9. stewh

stewh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the reviews there are stills from the cut seens that work like a flip book which in effect lets you play the cut seen. Don't know how effective it is but it certainly shows a company whos prepared to do something different with extras.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Just to confirm, only 16 seconds have been officially cut from the film: this includes scenes of forced urination, disembowelling and explicit sexual violence against a woman.

The remaining 15 seconds were left in, after a long and protracted dispute between the BBFC and the distributors of the films.

The scenes that were cut, are indeed in the extras section on Disc 2, and yes, they play like a flip book scene. And, yes, they are quite nasty.

Personally, I think this is one of the very few really effective horror films, despite the missing 16 seconds. The violence is played straight, and the movie offers the viewer no respite from the cold, clinical nature of it.

I'd recommend the film, if you are willing to accept some pretty bad acting. Bear in mind, this film was made on a shoestring budget, on 16mm, in 1971! It was always meant to be an exploitation film, so don't expect nice glossy direction.

Pooch

11. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
    As bad as The Amityville Horror???

12. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    :laugh: :laugh:
    The Amityville Horror's Citizen Kane compared to The Last House On The Left.