Last Action Hero 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
thanks Cas - good review and fair score

had not seen this film for a very long time and it is a weird concept to explain. i enjoyed it, Arnie was good in this but i agree it could have been so much better

picture and sound are up to the usual high standards of sony 4k releases

BUT you had to mention true lies .....AAARRRGGGHHH - i dont give a fig about 17 very belated avatar sequels but i do NEED the 4K disks of true lies and the abyss in some sort of reasonable timescale

Good classic Arnold. I mean, Arnold and Charles Dance in the same movie.. come on 😁
I see this as a solid 7 and True Lies a solid 9.

I do recall this coming out at the same time as Jurassic Park which to this day I still remember the effect on the audience, quiet jaw dropping. It could never compete with that movie despite Arnies protestations. Decent enough movie but no Jurassic Park especially for a boy brought up on Doug McClure movies with a model t-Rex on wheels.

A very underrated movie - I remember seeing this in the cinema, and absolutely loving it. A very solid 7.5/10 still.

I agree with your score of 6 @Casimir Harlow. Watched this for the first time a few weeks back (1080p). Really hoped it would a case of being better than people make out but I didn't think much of it at all. A confused mess of cartoon violence and unfunny jokes. Strange to watch because it's obvious that it's filmed by a talented director but the whole thing just didn't hang together.

Would much rather have had True Lies - which often seems to get overlooked on home formats

Movie is a 10 @Casimir Harlow and you know it.
Classic Arnold that was ahead of its time.

Movie was definitely an 8 in my mind before I rewatched it.

I WANTED to love it, I really did, and it does have some exceptionally clever moments for sure. It just didn't hang together as a coherent blend of very diverse themes. At least not on a rewatch.

Arnie and Dance were fabulous though, and Noonan and Quinn. Almost distracted me away from wanting to shoot the kid.

Movie was definitely an 8 in my mind before I rewatched it.

I WANTED to love it, I really did, and it does have some exceptionally clever moments for sure. It just didn't hang together as a coherent blend of very diverse themes. At least not on a rewatch.

Arnie and Dance were fabulous though, and Noonan and Quinn. Almost distracted me away from wanting to shoot the kid.
Don’t give me any of your flim flam, I watch this movie at least once a year. It gets better every time !

Don’t give me any of your flim flam, I watch this movie at least once a year. It gets better every time !

Ahhh, so that's my mistake, not watching it enough.

Obviously I was too busy rewatching everything else that Shane Black's written cause it's better. Well, apart from The Predator. We don't talk about The Predator.

Im sure it went down better back in the day. We had bigger celebs (in my mind anyway) and it was pre-Internet (for most at least), so celebs were a lot more private and a bit more magical. Seeing Arnie and his wife, with her telling him to shut up about Planet Hollywood must have been a lot funnier. But now with everyone on Twitter, sending themselves up once a week, it's not the same - for people new to the film like me anyway.

Can imagine a rewatch with plenty beer hits the mark

The first correct statement you’ve made today !

So did you start on a 6 too and work your way up to a 10 over the years? Just trying to figure out what I've got to look forward to.

With all its drawbacks IMO the film is a solid 7... but seeing you gave Army of the Dead the same score - really?.. Like really?

So did you start on a 6 too and work your way up to a 10 over the years? Just trying to figure out what I've got to look forward to.
Well I bought the ex rental VHS in what must of been spring ‘94, so you have a lot of catching up to do !
This is for the review
A2BBBEE6-7370-44F2-8A91-1200D8CCD406.gif

Think about what you’ve done and we’ll all move on.
😉😆

Well I bought the ex rental VHS in what must of been spring ‘94, so you have a lot of catching up to do !
This is for the review
View attachment 1521206
Think about what you’ve done and we’ll all move on.
😉😆

Favourite line is the "complete 360". The running gags between Dance and Quinn are possibly the highlight in the entire movie for me. Dance really is exceptionally good at stealing movies. But the ex-wife thing was fun too.

Hmmm, maybe I should give it a rewatch... ;) :D

Favourite line is the "complete 360". The running gags between Dance and Quinn are possibly the highlight in the entire movie for me. Dance really is exceptionally good at stealing movies. But the ex-wife thing was fun too.

Hmmm, maybe I should give it a rewatch... ;) :D
See you’re getting it !

thanks Cas - good review and fair score

had not seen this film for a very long time and it is a weird concept to explain. i enjoyed it, Arnie was good in this but i agree it could have been so much better

picture and sound are up to the usual high standards of sony 4k releases

BUT you had to mention true lies .....AAARRRGGGHHH - i dont give a fig about 17 very belated avatar sequels but i do NEED the 4K disks of true lies and the abyss in some sort of reasonable timescale
Exactly, where ARE they?!

The problem I have with the movie can't be fixed by remastering...

Austin O'Brien's hair.

I do recall this coming out at the same time as Jurassic Park which to this day I still remember the effect on the audience, quiet jaw dropping. It could never compete with that movie despite Arnies protestations

OMG! He's not been flashing his protestations has he?

Not really interested in watching this again, not if I have to buy it on a 4K disc. Seems that the score is mainly based upon the video and audio quality rather than the film itself. I'll watch a good film despite the video or the audio quality, but I'm less inclined to watch less admirable titles just because they've better video and or audio.

I'd watch it if I was really bored, but I'm not going to buy it :)

and no, I don't mean I'm going to pirate it either!

You’re wrong @Casimir Harlow this is not a 6/10 movie!! 😆

Even better now than I remembered, classic 80’s/early 90’s action film with some amazing one liners.

Got to be an 8/10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom