1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laserdiscs Compared To Dvd

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by damtom1, Jan 17, 2002.

1. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HOW DOES LASERDISC COMPARE TO DVD IN SOUND AND PICTURE QUALITY?DOES AN AC-3 LD PLAYER HOOK UP TO A DOLBY 5.1 AMP OK?

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    DVD's picture is far better and you don't need a demodulator to get DD sound out of it.

LD's were okay for they're time (a lot better than VHS), but DVD blows it away.

Only advantage to having LD at the moment is Star Wars trilogy and the Indy Jones movies. Once those appear on DVD my LD will be gone :(

3. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AC-3 player (a pioneer CLD515-D). It has an RF DD 5.1 output and plugs into the RF on my amp (a Denon ACV-1D). It sounds just as good as DD on my DVDs (well to my ears anyway).

I haven't had the DTS mod so I don't know how DTS LDs compare to DTS DVDs.

As for picture quality, the picture on DVD is much better. As with most evolving technologies things always improve. LD is still MUCH better than VHS.

However you can get a very good LD that looks much better than a naff DV. It also depends on the pressnig plant as well as the transfer. Ther has been discussions that the Sony pressing plant in the States produced some really sub standard LDs for a period of time. DVD have also had bad pressings.

I've got 200 (ish) DVDs and 70+ LDs. Some LDs I've replaced but only if the DVD is a significant improvement over the LD version.

E.g. as it stands today the DVD Blade Runner doesn't offer anything over the LD version. Same goes for the Criterian edition of Robocop I've got on LD.

I'm thinking of selling my LDs but only for space considerations.

Plus LDs are now cheap enough - you can pick then up for a fiver (except special box sets like Star Wars etc)

4. damtom1

damtom1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,that clears alot up!I was just thinking of getting an LD for nostalgic purposes.I always wanted one when i was first getting into home cinema,but never actually did buy one!

5. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, LD CAN look as good as a non 16x9 dvd if you have the right player. The CLD-515 like Mr Graham have is not a good player at all. If one got a japanese player like Pioneer LD-S9, HLD-X9 or the HLD-X0 you will get a superb picture from your laserdisc's. Of course many laserdisc look not so good but there are MANY ld's that looks sooo good. And the PCM audio from LD are VASTLY improvment over the often used DD on dvd with mono movies.
    I was testing the japanese LD of STPM against the R1 dvd on a GREAT Loewe 16x9 tv'set and the dvd had only a little better resolution over the LD, not as much as you could have thinked.
    But I and my friends prefered the ld's color!!

So if one have a really good LD player it can give a picture as good or even better on some disc than dvd.

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499

Agree that picture is not as good but sound is most impressive. As for STAR WARS, however good the DVD is and however much extras there are they will have to go a long way to better the impressive packaging that the LD comes in :D

7. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The Laserdisc disadvantage is how much a really good player costs to fully exploit discs. If you have an LD-S9 or HLD-X9, as I do, I have one of both, well-mastered LD's can look righteous. STIR WARZ PM looks more or less the same on LD or DVD and the LD's sound blow's away the DVD's dumbed down sound. The DVD ought to look better, take Lucas hostage and force him to explain why it doesn't. Only he and his hairdresser know for sure. I suspect Lucas dumbed down the picture because common video pirates like us don't deserve better....yeah....

The best LD players never offically left the Orient. They sent fairly good players to the U.S. and Canada. Europe got the LD shaft! Nothing but average players ever hit it's shores, offically.

Anamorphic LD's look nearly as good as DVD's. Toshiba released 4 in the U.S. and 7 "Squeez" LD's were released in Japan. I own a copy of TERMINATOR 2 Squeez and it is comparable to the anamorphic DVD. The colour might be a slight bit less vivid than the DVD but I can't spot any significant dot drift on it and I am infatuated with it's pic. It seems more natural looking than DVD to me.

The studios stoped the upward evolution of Laserdiscs because they had more potential than DVD's. When hi-def Muse LD's began to mature as a format and started to improve, they put an end to them. DVD was created to cut costs over VHS and limit resolution and sound quality at a level appropriate for video pirates like us. Imagine a digital video Laserdisc...! With killer uncompressed, high bit-rate sound!

Old fashioned analog Laserdiscs are stille the best way to watch hundred and hundreds of vintage films that the studios can't be bothered to release to DVD. Like:

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
    SUNSET BOULEVARD
    PUBLIC ENEMY
    SINK THE BISMARCK
    QUEEN CHRISTINA
    FIRE IN THE SKY
    GUNGA DIN
    I'M NO ANGEL
    CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE (either version)
    HONKY TONK
    STAR WARS, you'll never see the original version on DVD! Lord Georgie won't permit it.

I could spend forever listing LD exclusive titles.... Best wishes from Laserland!

8. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

AMEN, Rachael!!! I hope my LD-S9 soon will come. I also agree with the european LD players, I have owned the best, CLD-925 and that is soooo much worse than my HLD-X9.

9. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    at the risk of sounding like the 'thought police' did you really need to quote ALL of that article when you made NO reference to it in your posting???

/rant mode off ;)

10. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry:kisses: ;) :p

11. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Laserdisc is a love thing now.
    I've got about 120 films on LD. I know they are worth nothing, but I do watch them.
    However, if you don't have a player now, then put your money into DVD. A lot simpler.

Besides, I can't have competition for 2nd hand discs.
    :D