Laserdisc (well, there's no LD section so...) - Pioneer CLDs310 analog audio?? Help..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by domfjbrown, Mar 25, 2003.

1. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Stop laughing - I acquired this LD player and some discs just for the hell of it, and noticed it won't play analog soundtrack PAL LDs (or NTSC ones at all - boo hoo). Anyway, when attempting to play my mate's 1987 copy of Back to the future, it states "Analog audio - no sound", BUT it will let you select audio channel 1 or 2 or stereo, and tells you CX coding status...

Now that implies to me that the machine has the circuitry to possibly process analog tracks, but it's been disabled. Anyone know anything about the innards of one of these beasts and what I'd need to look out for? I don't want to kill it :)

Also - anyone got any PAL LDs with digital sound they want to offload??

2. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Dom

Welcome to the forums!!

Maybe one of the moderators may move this to the DVD Players & Recorders section,where it might be more appropiate.

Furthermore there are a few LD owners around, so you'll probably get a solution to your problem quite quickly

As a former LD owner if I remember correctly, to get an analogue sound output, you have to connect L&R audio cables from your LD player output to an AV amp .

Using coxial or optical digital cables will not output analogue.

So my question is how have you connected the LD Player to your AV amp?

Del :)

3. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D'oh - you're probably right re the forum - oops...

The LD unit I have ONLY has analog outs - no digital output at all, not even for CD replay. I know the 310 claims to not be compatible with analog soundtracks, so this is why it seems strange to me that the player has the CX noise reduction functionality and the ability to swap between the analog channels - if the bits aren't on the motherboard why let you access them at all?? Veeeery interesting...

BTW - I have a Yamaha E800 with my DVD connected ONLY via digital coax - apparently you can switch between the digital and analog inputs on this input, so theoretically I could have the LD on analogs and the DVD as is - will have to look into this one!

Thanks

Dom

4. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I remember hearing that some of the later Pioneers could not play PAL analog but could play NTSC analog. You need this for the commentaries so I'm pretty sure they would not remove it. I'm also pretty sure (but don't quote me) that CX was used on analog AND digital tracks, but never on THX digital tracks. I'm not refering to AC-3 here.

To summarise, I think your analog outputs are broken.

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

If you search for, and talk to Videotec in Oxford you can probably have the player modified to restore the analog audio option. European LD's with digital audio don't have any space on the disc for the analog track, so some players had the option to access the analog track removed. NTSC laserdiscs have both Digital and analog tracks. DD discs have one of the analog tracks replaced with the DD track.

Brian

6. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Duplicate threads merged :)

K.

7. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kelvin :)

So what's Videotec's number?

The 310 does NOT support analog according to the specs - what I wandered is if the circuitry is still on there but disabled - I'm guessing Pioneer were bowing out on laserdisc with this last model range, so surely to save money they'd use a basic motherboard across the non-frame store'd models - so theoretically the circuitry is still there on the board but crippled...

Videotec might be worth a go ('cos I could then get it serviced as well :)).

8. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

Videotec are on the web and their phone number is 01865 245566 (I think). If they can't help or it's too expensive, you could probably find another player on e-bay.

The CX noise reduction was only required on the analog tracks but it's a bit of a 'legacy' item as it's automatic on CX encoded discs.

Brian

9. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bxd :)

I'm watching a couple of LD players on Ebay - what's the 2950 like, anyone? I'll contact Videotec via email later today though and see what the word is - like I say, not too bothered about NTSC playback as my mate has a 909 LD/DVD combi I can watch the one NTSC item I have (The Wall, bought in error as a PAL edition - woops!).

10. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

If you don't have any ntsc discs then you won't really need the analog playback unless you want to play older LaserVision (non-digital) discs. PAL digital discs don't have any analog tracks.... there is no room for them on the disc .....that's also why there is NO Dolby digital on PAL LDs.

However, the main aspect of having a LD player is to play ntsc discs which do have DD on them.

The 2950 is a nice unit (does it have ac-3 ??... not sure) but you might need to get Videotec to modify it.

brian

11. domfjbrown

domfjbrown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - I dunno if the 2950 has rf out (but I'd need a demod anyway since my E800 processor omits that)...

As for analog Laservision tracks, well, I don't own any as yet, but there's always that one elusive film that Stage and Screen might get in that I'll want to play, only to find out it's Laservision analog audio only...

And I expect the 2950 (or a 925 if I can get one at the right price) will have a better picture than my 310 - it's not bad, but I reckon I can get much better... :)

12. sasho

sasho
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is It possible to upgrade / mod Pioneer CLD 310 In order to get analogue sound from LDs