Question Laserdisc powersupply

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by GodsShoeshine, Nov 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GodsShoeshine

GodsShoeshine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! New here so im sorry if this is in the wrong place;
    Gott a bit of an odd one. Looking for some help and/or advice. Any would be greatly appreciated:

I recently picked up a cld-v250 as spares / repairs. The draw wasnt opening on it and after taking the player apart i managed to solder some connectors (poor mans solder with tin foil) and get draw to open perfectly. Before putting the player back together it was working great, every function was working on it again. I then proceded to reassemble the player and when i was done the machine was dead - no power at all. I reopened the player and could see my my botch job solder had come loose and the tin foil has been in contact with other connectors on the circuit board.
    Ive checked the internal fuses and they've not blown, ive swapped out the fuse on the plug, but no good so maybe the power supply has been shorted?
    I have a near identical powersupply from another CLD-LaserKaraoke machine. Both have the same pins and run at 220 -240v max (im in the UK). Is it plausible to think that swapping this potentinally broken powersupply with that one could be the fix, or is it unlikely and not worth the hassle?

Really sorry about the long post and, again - any help or advice would be really appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    Try the power supply but before you do I'd suggest you learn how to solder.
    Using tinfoil is downright dangerous.

3. GodsShoeshine

GodsShoeshine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do have a solder iron, but i didnt have it to hand, hence the tin foil methord. But yeah, certainly wont be going down that route again.

Do you think its likely the foil could or damaged the board?

4. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    If the tinfoil bodge you did came loose and shorted out other components/connections yes, it's highly likely you've shorted the psu.
    BTW, the part you put the disc into and which opens/closes is called a “drawer”
    “Draw” is what you do with a pencil or pen.

5. GodsShoeshine

GodsShoeshine
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Drag. Would the whole board need to be replaced or just the transformer?

Lol, fair enough.