1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laserdisc Players

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Solomon Grundy, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    I quite fancy one of these, where would the best place be to start looking and how much can I expect to pay for one? Wasn't sure where to post this...? Cheers guys!

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I wouldn't even go there mate. With blue ray HD DVD on the horizon there is abosolutely no benifit getting one.

3. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ebay is your best bet. Plenty for sale on there. For best compatability, get one that plays pal/ntsc - but you will pay more for these.

The delivery charges bump the price up quite a bit though cos they are heavy. I'm going to sell my PAL-only player on there as soon as I can get round to it!

There are plenty of reviews on the web as to the best one to go for, I had the Pioneer 925 which was marked as one of the best of it time. When it broke, I went for a PAL only player as I didn't have many NTSC discs, and I don't use it much.

Good luck if you decide to get one - remember though, they are pretty old beasts now so reparing an old one might be costly if it breaks, and the discs aren't as good quality as DVDs.

There are a couple of models available which also play DVDs but these sell for more than £100...

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

Paul.

4. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    There's a fair few on e-bay, but I'd start by posting a 'wanted' ad on the classifieds.

I bought one for with a good collection of discs for £150 early this year in a moment of madness on here (It was for charity :smashin: )

You should be able to pick up a decent player with a some discs for under £100. Try to get one with an AC3 demodulator so you can enjoy surround sound.

The video quality is below DVD standards but the audio is awesome on many discs.

The real enjoyment is the novelty value, and picking up some unusual discs unavailable on DVD (again e-bay is good for this)

I suppose the danger is that, given the age the player will be, the risk of failure must be high, but there are still people keeping CED video players running :eek:, so there mut be a few years left in the laserdisc format.

5. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Ah, Laserdisc! Well, i like them, but as Tons of Fun will no doubt be along to point out shortly, that's because i'm strange.

I used to have a Pioneer CLD-1950 that was superb - i particularly liked having to get up halfway through a film to turn the disc over as it gave that vinyl feel to film watching :D

I'd love another one and, in fact, i saw a Pioneer DVL909 at a car boot sale recently for £45 (the one that plays laserdiscs and DVD's) but sadly the wife was with me so i didn't have the nerve to buy it.................. :(

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,588
    As requested- you're strange :D. Still wouldn't mind a 919 though.

7. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ebay are definitely your best bet and if your lucky, you might catch sight of the top end american models which are superb performers - theres still tons of software out there which is'nt available on dvd and is in its origional form as opposed to many 'updated' titles released for the dvd crowd - if like me your into cinema from the 40's up, mgm cartoons, musicals etc, you won't find a better format.
    The more recent titles like phantom menace also look and sound superb - I was watching 'Independance day' last night and it features on of the single best surround sound moments ever - when a tin can is shot off the captured space ships hull and the bullet ricochets off the shield - incredible!

Good luck.

8. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    Thanks guys. I know that the new HD DVD technology is just around the corner but will probably get one of those anyway, I just love the covers and the discs themselves look fantastic. I checked Ebay out too, there seem to be a few players out there, the discs themselves are so cheap too! Why don't many people own one? I don't get it... :confused:

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    I would say that the only benifit of having a laserdisc player is that some of the movies have a slightly better sound to them as they are not as compressed as DVDs.

Laser discs can suffer form laser rot, are not anamorphic, and on some older players you have to turn them over :eek:

10. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    So their beauty is only skin deep...even if I didn't like it upon buyng I wouldn't lose that much would I? The prices seem to have hit rock bottom...

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Dont get me wrong, I used to have a laser disc player.
    The pioneer dv975 I think it was, very happy with it at the time, but the things are complety outdated now and I think you can only get discs second hand, most of which are avalable on dvd with better features and picture quality.

12. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well, what about all the movies not out on DVD?

I find it funny that some people say, don't buy a LD player because of HD-DVD. Well, if a movie have not been released on DVD, the fastest growing format in history, under it's 7+ years, would those movies then come out on HD-DVD, a format that WILL be a very small niche format for HT people (yes, Matrix, LOTR, and big classics). :rotfl:

I would say that buy laserdisc before HD-DVD, because if Blue-ray will win, HD-DVD will be as dead as LD, but with A LOT less movies. :lesson:

13. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    I wouldn't bother with LD.

I recently bought a player so I could see the original Star Wars versions on LD
    (only way you can see it, or DVD copy of LD). I bought from ebay & the remote
    didn't work, so I sent it back. It got damaged by DHL & had to claim from them.
    It was really a big hassle.

Apart from this NTSC laserdiscs look very poor resolution. PAL was not bad.

Best thing was the LD covers like Pulp Fiction & Apocalypse Now. So, if you were
    ever one of those people who bought LP's just for the covers, then you will
    like LD.

In fact forget about the player just buy some LD's for the covers, but watch on DVD :thumbsup:

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm sure they'll be collectors items in years to come.

15. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    My CLD 925 still gets regular use and, as I have said many times before on here, I am still yet to find a DVD that sounds better than the DTS track on the Blade LD :thumbsup:

16. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,144
    I have a Pioneer CLD-1950 which I modified to produce AC3 output.
    I have a few Laserdiscs as well including the Star Wars trilogy.
    I even have the THX WOW laserdisc.
    I haven't fired up the machine for a couple of years. If I get chance I'll test it and if it's working ok, I'll put it in the classifieds.

17. Hubba

Hubba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm think of selling my pioneer cld515, mint condition, instructions, box. I 'll probably throw some laser discs in as well.

Anybody interested?

18. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I think every DVD player manufacturer will release a HD-DVD/Blue Ray compatible players. Not only that these players will be backwards compatible with existing DVD MPeg2 software. The future is Hi-def for everyone, it's never going to be a niche market. Hi-Def players will steam roller all over MPeg2 players because if you ever see the difference between the two you'll realise why. Even the early Demos of Hi-Def software shows just how good the future for Home Cinema looks. If you were to see Gladiator or The Fifth Element in 720p or even 1080p then you'll see it virtually perfect! You then ask yourself if it could ever get any better and cringe when you have to watch DVD again with EE, pixalation, ringing, etc.

Hi-Def will be here for a very long time, allot longer than DVD because DVD was just shrinking LD onto a CD sized disc, giving better picture but compromised sound. The longevity of the Hi-Def format I think, see a bigger back catalog of movies like those missed on DVD.

19. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry, I think you really overestimate HD-DVD/Blue ray. Of course it will look better than DVD, I KNOW, I have seen it many times. Of course will the new HD player backwards compatible with DVD.
    But you don't get the point. We videophile's are a SMALL market. Maybe 5% of the market. All other people will not buy the movies that they have just got on DVD again. Most of them don't have any display that can show HDTV.
    Let me remind you that HDTV have been around in US for over 10 years, and it's not that big there.

So, come back in 1-2 years, and I promise you that I will have right. HD-DVD will be like the Laserdisc was 10 years ago, a small market for videophiles. Maybe in 4-5 years, the HD-DVD will be somewhat bigger, but there will still be a LOT of movies on LD that are not on DVD/HD-DVD. Trust me :lesson:

20. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes it is......my parents will never go HD...they are perfectly content with their 21'' 4:3 TV, and live happily without a VCR.

Anyway, this thread isn't about HD.

I'm not even contemplating selling my LD player, in fact I may even invest in another machine.

No DVD player or I'll wager, HD player will play the video content of a CDV disc and I'm not about to throw away a sizeable part of my disc collection.

21. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    How can HD-DVD or Blue ray be a niche market when the PS 2 will be blue ray, Xbox be HD-DVD, all DVD manufacturers will faze out MPeg2 only players and all software companies will begin selling Hi-Def discs?

When DVD was released it was a totaly new technology but Hi-Def DVD is a transition or evolution of DVD. It's increasing storage space and cutting out the compression.

One day your parents DVD player might pack up and they might buy a new one, they will probably buy a Hi-Def machine without even knowing it because in five years time normal res DVDs will be obsolete and they will be forced to watch a down scaled Hi-Def movie on their 21" TV.

22. Hubba

Hubba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm think of selling my pioneer cld515, mint condition, instructions, box. I 'll probably throw some laser discs in as well.

Anybody interested?

23. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    That was in the days of LD when players cost £500-£1000 and movies cost £30 a throw.

The mass market (DVD) now has players for £30 and movies for peanuts.

LOL how often does a DVD get rereleased? Gladiator or the fifth element might well be on their forth release now.

This is only because of the high cost of Hi-Def TVs. Now the cost has come down to the same level at ordinary SD displays.

I think you are very wrong, every PS3, X-Box 360, Plasma TV, LCD TV, Rear Projection TV, Front Projector are all Hi-Def ready NOW and from 2006. All manufacturers want the change to Hi-Def because SD-DVD sales are stagnent and riddled with pirate copies.

All they software companies are waiting for is the official launch of Blue Ray and HD-DVD and then the flood gates will be opened. They will stop SD-DVD production as soon as they can.

This isn't a will I, won't I buy Hi-Def, there will be no choice like when DVD was released and LD was doomed to history.

I still have my Pioneer 925 and about 30 LDs. I have no plans to sell them and it will form part of my system when my loft conversion is complete. Listening to Face Off is a joy to the ears it's a shame the picture isn't a joy to the eyes.

24. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Decadence, this thread seems to have drifted into something of a Hi Def debate.

I personally would say that, for the price of the players and the software now, there is no reason NOT to get an LD player....even if it is for the sheer novelty or nostalgia value :cool:

The discs and packaging look great and always get asked about when people see them...even if you have to admit to the picture not being that great you can still show what they are capable of with the amazing uncompressed sound.

If players were still £500 and the discs 2 were still £40 I would say to forget all about them...but with players and discs being bundled together and sold for peanuts on Ebay I would get one just to see what all the fuss was about all those years ago before 'Home Cinema' was something that every man and his dog were buying from Currys to stick in the corner of the living room :D

25. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

That's correct.

Yes, but there are not the average joe that buy the movies again and again. Do not this that.

It's not only that. Regular people don't really care that much. If they have bought a new TV and new DVD player, they will not throw that away in 1 year and buy another.

Serious, how many titles do you think will be available on HD-DVD within a year? I don't think that will be so many. See on even forum that even HT people will boycott the HD-DVD war until ONE format is the winner. Funny if you get a lot on movies on HD-DVD and 1-2 years from now, it's dead in the water and you have to buy the movies on blue-ray again :devil:

haha, seriously, WHAT info do you have that on? SD-DVD will be around for MANY years to come. Trust me. :lesson:

This isn't a will I, won't I buy Hi-Def, there will be no choice like when DVD was released and LD was doomed to history.

Sorry, the 925 is a rather sh*tty player. A HLD-X9 or HLD-X0 with a quality scaler, THEN we can talk about picture quality. :D

26. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I dont think there will be a format war. Like DD and DTS or DVD-A or SACD, players will be dual compatible, fingers crossed.

Well if you take all the titles that have been shown on US HDTV then there should be alot. Who knows how many will go on sale on launch day.

Like I said earlier the format change will be more of a transition as HD DVD is an evolution of SD DVD. This time round we have two consoles pushing the technologies into peoples homes who are probably unaware of what they're getting for their money. This will create a huge base from which Hi-Def will grow. No ones going to make people burn their old players or software so like LD, DVD will be around for years to come in that context.

But that model was never sold in this country was it? That quote will probably put more people off buying second LD player as the HLD-X9 or HLD-X0 with a quality scaler will be as hard as finding rocking horse poo.

27. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    It's great when these older threads spring back to life :hiya:

The Pioneer player that I aquired early this year is getting regular use and giving me and my family many hours of viewing pleasure. :thumbsup:

For anyone interested, I'd definitely recommend having a play with one, particularly if you value sound quality equally or greater than video quality.

28. nin

nin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

There have been reports that there will NOT be dual compatible players.

89 titles will be released. 89!

Again, average people does not care!!! To them DVD is well enough. They don't care about getting HD-DVD. :lesson:

No, they where not sold in Europe, they where Japanese only players. They are not to hard to find, but they cost.
    But, you cannot know what Laserdisc can do if you haven't seen it with great stuff. Just like comparing DVD vs HD on a small black & white TV.

Most plasma set's that are on sale today are not even HD capable. Most of the stuff people buy is 480P resolution! You cannot even look at PAL DVD's and get most of the picture.

29. spinner

spinner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    mate you need a pioneer 919E (make sure its a "E" as the normal 919 wont do dts)
    this was the last LD pioneer made in '99 and the only machine in the world to play dvd (yes dvd),LD (all sizes),cd,cdv +dvd-r & cd-r...
    unlike most other dvd players it was very sleek and sexy finished in silvery gold colour...no rf demodulator (yet to see a player with a built in one)
    one thing about ld players is that they are very deep and might cause problems on a hi- fi stand...
    the best Laserdisc for sound has to be "armageddon" DTS !!! but it dont come cheap £100+

30. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,004
    hey this is an old thread! I might have another look at getting one now as I was completely sidetracked by other things...cheers for the reminder!