Laserdisc Player, where to buy - S/H pref.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by encaser, Apr 13, 2002.

1. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Anyone know a good/cheapish place to get a laserdisc player? Ones that'll do PAL, NTSC and, no flipping!!
    Also, how do people rate the quality of makes/playback? The stuff I wanna buy is only on either video or laserdisc so that'll be the comparison point.
    Cheers.;)

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi encaser.

You could try ebay, they usually have quite a few. Or you could try the items for sale forum on this site (I'm sure you already have!)

Regarding which one to go for, The Pioneer Elite U.S. models are very well regarded, but I am not sure if they play PAL disks and they are probably pretty hard to get hold of.

I would suggest the U.K. released Pioneer CLD 925, this player spins both PAL and NTSC disks, has both side play (no fliping) and outputs DD 5.1 from certain NTSC disks (you will need a RF demodulator to decode it). The picture quality is pretty good but not really up to DVD standards, but usually better than VHS. As it was the last Pioneer LD player to be released before DVD's took over (I think) it is a good one to go for.

I must point out that some LD transfers were fantastic (e.g. NTSC Star Wars Trilogy) but some were awful (e.g. PAL Aliens SE) so if the material you want is on both LD and VHS, then the VHS version might actually be the better version!. Most NTSC disks are pretty good though.

I hope this of some help.

Cheers.

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There is a 925 going in the sales forum and one with discs in the official classifieds. Also, I've just sold mine plus 115 discs to buns.
    There are alos players advertised in the mag each month too, and discs left right and centre. Also check out the thread asking to buy a copy of Lion King on laserdisc, more pointers to places to buy from. The point being, it's a very healthy and strong market indeed.

Laserdisc is excellent. You should aim for about £200 for a 925 in good condition. I used to pay about £5 per disc 2nd hand. A 515.1 would be worth about £125-ish. 99% of players were from Pioneer. Sony and Denon dented the market a touch, but it's Pioneer all the way.

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for the info chaps, time to release the hounds...

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,496
    The final Pioneer LD player was ( I think ) the 919, which was the DVD / LD combo player.

It is as good ( if not slightly better ) than there other LD players and is also not a bad DVD player

Have seen multi-region players now selling for under 300

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    Picture Paradise in Lincoln
    Videotec in Oxford.