Laserdisc gurus - Pioneer DVL-919 Question?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kramer, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the absence of a Laserdisc specific forum & given this is also a DVD player......

I've been offered a Pioneer DVL-919 in Champagne. It's in pretty good nic but has a few minor marks here & there. Is it worth picking it up & sourcing a few discs from ebay etc.? What's it worth?

Google reveals component output for DVD but this unit didn't seem to have component connectors, just scart. Was there a €uropean version available?

Opinions on acquiring this?

TIA :).

2. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    I owened one of these players for 3 years. I never had any problems with it. There is no r.g.b out put on it though. Not sure about s video. Even with this the picture via a good scart lead , even though it was standard composite , was still better than vhs or analog tv. :thumbsup:

4. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I owned both a 909 and a 919 laser/dvd combo and never had a problem with either unit.

From what I can remember the 919 will playback dvds and Laserdiscs with DTS sound and you can also try and source a rf demod unit to get Dolby Digital sound.

There are 2 scarts on the rear of the unit and it does indeed have a svhs socket aswell.

Not sure what it would be worth to be honest , the market for laserdisc is getting smaller all the time due to many "laser only" films starting to appear on dvd.

Drphibes

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the replies guys :).

Still thinking about it......it does look nice if nothing else & that's usually good enough reason for me to buy :D . It was/is going cheap(ish) - hence my interest.

So what do you reckon it's worth? Say a figure I'd be likely to recoup when selling on? £50? £100? £150?

Thanks again ;)

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    They also make a good transport for CD if you have ever thought about going down the transport plus seperate DAC route.

7. grafzep

grafzep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Laserdiscs are still worth having - its surprising how many older interesting films are only available on LD. I'm still buying, cheap, usually from the states, films that are unlikely to see DVD.

For example, the kids recently enjoyed "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" so I picked up "Sullivans Travels" (which is on DVD) and "I am a Fugitive From A Chain Gang" which certainly isn't. I also wanted to show them "Angels With Dirty Faces" which, surprisingly, I could only get on LD, the Sands Studios epic version of "Little Dorrit" only on LD, "The Lacemaker" only on LD....

A LD player will be claiming rack space for some time methinks

8. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kramer,

I've posted a few threads on the merits of laserdisc with modern displays in the past.

Firstly, the Pio combined DVD/LD players whilst being perfectly serviceable, were pretty much inferior to their earlier offerings (albeit only slightly). Basically us poor UK siblings got the cheap end of the LD market & none of the UK players was a patch on the higher end Pio elite/Mcintosh/etc. USA players. Common thinking was that Pioneer reached a high with the 1850 & 2950 era players & after that things levelled off a bit. I own an 1850 and a CLD-D925 & have to say that the 1850 probably is better than the 925 (although not by much & not enough to lose out on the double side play convenience). The 919 was basically a 925 with DVD added which seemed to have a detrimental effect to the PQ.
    The other bugbear nowadays is the performance with todays displays. For some reason LD loves CRT's but throws a bit of a wobbler when fed into de-interlaced PJ's & plasma's. I've not really had a satisfactory result feeding the UK pioneers direct into plasma's or PJ's without some form of video processing. I've put my players into Panny plasma's, Hitachi, Yamaha & Panny PJ's & found the results to be of the same mediocre quality. The worst connection seems to be from the S-vid outputs which are basically a composite output internally transcoded to s-vid (poorly) which give wild herringbone effects with anything brighter than grey !!!!!
    I've tried the composite transcoded to component & fed thru iscan ultra and a Yammy Z9 & had reasonable success, with the Yamaha's scaler upping it to 1080 looking the best on NTSC discs. But, (anomaly no.2), PAL discs don't tend to look as good thru processing as NTSC discs !

So, to cut a long story short, buy a decent american player with a voltage adaptor & buy NTSC discs !!!!!!

But, for casual viewing on a sub 42" screen, Pio's CLD-D925 thru a video processor can look o.k., just don't expect miracles. I've seen 925's around the £150-200 price point on Ebay & that seems a fair price, so if the 919 is below this bracket then it may be worth a go, just don't expect greatness. Another possibility is the Sony range of players (MDP-850). These gave an RGB output in NTSC so may be worth considering as a viable option if you can find one. I think they are generally looked on as superior to the Pio's but I've not been able to get my hands on one to have a play.

Basically as far as I can see there is only one reason these days to own a laserdisc player - Older movies (and Star Wars !!)
    It's the only way to watch the trilogy in a decent format in it's original state !! There are also a lot of old movies on NTSC laserdisc that may never see the light of day on DVD, although with the rate (& cheap price!) of DVD releases I'm beginning to question even that reason !!

O.k. info overload over !!
    Any specific questions then fire away & I'll do my best to answer.

Cheers,

Andy

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Again guys, thank you for the replies. Especially Andy. Excellent info there :thumbsup:

Think I'll pick it up because it's cheap although I haven't got a single laserdisc to test it with :( .

It'll hopefully sell again if I don't get much use from it (likely).

So is ebay the best/only place to source laserdiscs? Looking in the last few days, most sellers don't ship outside the US.

I'll let you know if/when I pick it up.

:smoke:

10. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, E-bay is the way to go, If you narrow it down to a "located in UK" search you'll find a lot of PAL discs with some NTSC ones available from ex-owners over here, but USA sellers that ship to UK are about (In fact I just picked up a THX widescreen copy of Star Wars original version yesterday for 8 quid from the states !)

cheers,

Andy

P.s. - Kramer, what display are you going to use with it ?? Be interested to add any further info to my experiments with LD so be sure to post any results if you do get it please.

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have a 6 series Panasonic plasma & Sony VPL-HS10 LCD PJ (1366x768 res). No CRT I'm afraid.

Will comment when I'm setup (& have a disc to watch!).

:smoke:

12. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Can anyone tell me anything about the Pioneer Model CLD-D1?

13. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
  14. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D Welcome to the 919 club Kramer! :thumbsup:

I only stoped using my 919 this xmas when I got a dedicated DVD deck. I have to agree thou that via my HS20 PJ LD isn't that nice to watch now I'm used to 720p DVD via DVI. ;)

I will have to experiment a bit more as I've only got it wired to the S-Video connector.

It's not a bad little box, supports AC3 RF output on NTSC LDs that have 5.1DD if your Amp has AC3 RF input that is. Works with RCE DVDs (I presume it's a MR box) with a disc swap bodge and always fun at parties when you eject a 12" double sided DVD that kids today have no idea about. :)

15. quadophile

quadophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tried looking everywhere but not successful so far. Thanks for responding anyway

16. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Maybe the chassis is cross referenced like they do in the tv/ video industry ?? (Different brands use the same chassis, and make a different casing.)

I'm not sure how you'd find out this information, maybe someone else can help ??

Have you tried emailing Pioneer for help ??

17. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Pio' CLD-D704. It was great to beable to listen to Dolby Digital way back in '96 before most people knew what it was! It still gets used for a bit of "Retro Format Movie Night" action every now and then, good for Star Wars Remastered box set and Blade Runner.
    As much as I love this player and LD's in general I'd have to say their time is well and truely over and they are pretty much a novelty now and it's probably not worth buying a machine if you have no LD's and your amp can't handle the AC-3RF output, but then again if its dirt cheap why not own a classic AV format. Home cinema would not be where it is today with out LD (probably..)