laserdisc friendly amp req'd!

gargoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much satisfied with my current setup (as listed below) but do have a problem - I still actively use my pioneer 515 ac3 laserdisc player but not many current amps support this format.
I'm keen to check out the latest multi channel amps (6.1 and 7.1), but don't know if any laserdisc compatiable receivers are available, does anyone know if there are any modifications or adaptors available to allow me to use my laserdisc to current technology?

IIRC Yamaha amps tended to have AC3 input for laserdisc players. Not sure if this is still the case with new models 1400/2400 etc

Gary

I know for sure that the Yamaha Z9 (a snip at £3300) carries one as do all of the older items of Marantz premium surround gear- SR14, SR18 etc. I also appreciate that this information is probably as much use as chocolate fireguard unless you're planning a very hefty upgrade indeed :(.

i have an A3090 that i would be willing to part with. it is fairly old, but does have the RF input you need.

Pioneer's AX10(i) also has a dedicated laserdisc connection.

The TAG AV32r has a laserdisk add on, you might get one cheap at the moment.

i Have a yamaha a1 amp
(for sale £500) with the ac3 input for a laserdisc player.

i have used it to great effect with a pioneer cld 925 for dolby digital ntsc discs.

one of the best home cinema amps IMHO.

High end Onkyo's do too

Thanks for replying people, after checking the specs and reviews of all models mentioned, I found that they all have one rather obvious flaw - they're verrrryyy expensive!
My maximum budget was around £500 - the cheapest of the above costs well over a grand!
Anyway, until I win the lottery, it looks like I'll be using my sherwood for the foreseeable future but thanks again for the input.

my A3090 won't be expensive.. i wouldn't want more than £250 for it. it was about a grand in its day. it isnt a receiver but its a cracking AC-3/DD decoder with 5 x 80w/ch amplification - it still holds it own with today's mid range AV receivers. it doesnt have PL2 or DTS, and its only 5.1 but it does have that RF input you need.

Chris - thanks for the offer but my current receiver - sherwood 925rds - is dolby digital, the reason why I was looking for an upgrade is because I'm eager to get on the 6.1 bandwagon and the 925 is 5.1.

Hi,

Best bet is to go for a demodulator if you don't want to limit yourself. You're then free to choose any amp you wish. Flagship Yamaha's & Denon's have an AC-3 input, but are expensive (they are amazing bit's of kit though !!).

The second hand option may also be a good one (particularly the A1 or 3090 offered in this thread), I currently own a Yamaha DSP-A1 and I absolutely loved it, it is one hell of an amp. I've lived with it for 6 years now and the only reasons I'm now upgrading to a Z9 ( :clap: ) is to explore 7.1 and also to bring LD & other lowlier sources up to acceptable picture levels via it's on-board video processor. The A1 will be staying for a while though whilst I figure out if I can shoehorn it into the bedroom !!!

Long live LD !!!

An alternative might be to look at a 2nd hand Pioneer 859/909 - only 5 power channels of power, but 6.1 decoders and an RF input - so you could either get a 2 channel power amp which could be had for 170 odd

I'll come clean though - i'm upgrading amps, so I have a 859 spare :)

Phil

Hi guys,

Just wondering if someone could explain what a demodulator is (and how much one is), and also what an RF AC-3 connection is? Only asking 'coz a mate has offered me his Pioneer LD on a permanant loan.

Thanks in advance,

Dishdoc

As I understand it LD player can output a Digital Audio stream on an RF output

A demodulator will take this RF output and convert it to a standard digial input
An amp with an RF AC-3 input just has the demodulator built in

Phil

& with most new amps it is a feature that only tends to be on the very top end ones.

Most people with lower or mid range amps will use a stand alone demod between the LD's output & the amps co-ax digital input.

The Yamaha APD-1 is an example of a stand alone one
http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/processors/apd-1/

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom