laserdisc & 6.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gargoyle, Jul 6, 2001.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'v just seen the review for sherwoods new 6.1 dolby digital ex receiver - it sounds just what I'm looking for .
    however , does anyone know if it has an rf outlet to allow the connection of a pioneer 515 ld player or if it can be modified to accept ld?
    I'v got a large selection of ntsc ld's which I still enjoy watching and would like to continue watching them as I prefer them to dvd's.
    :confused:

[ 06-07-2001: Message edited by: gargoyle ]

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess you mean RF input? Don't know about that but external adapters are available, e.g. Yamaha.

3. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    What makes you enjoy LD's more than DVD's. Surely DVD picture quality blow's LD back into the 70's.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Aaaaaaaahhhhh, now we go into the realms of the LD 'enjoyment' factor!
    The pic is better on DVD, but the audio is debateable.
    If you disregard those two factors though, the actual hands on experience with the disc involving the sleeve, artwork, boxsets etc all make them fun to use/watch.
    Odd I know, but I'll watch a LD and quite possibly enjoy the film more than the DVD equivalent, even though the DVD is tech superior.
    Can it be like driving a modern sports car, compared to the fun of driving an older MG or something?

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    As for the 6.1 bit, I'd say unless there is a dedicated proc. still around to plug inline like the Yamaha mentioned, and somehow 'create' 6.1 from LD, you'd be better of not worrying about it.

6. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Badass - in regards to your question concerning the differences between ld & dvd , I currently own a toshiba dvd player which I enjoy using for the following reasons - convenience - no more getting up to turn the disc over , extra's - I'v just bought 'close encounters of the 3rd kind' on dvd and have learnt an hell of a lot about the movie thanks to the supplementary disc ,and finally , picture quality - on my panny 36in box I can get some truly outstanding pics. HOWEVER , dvd packaging is so bloody anonymous and boring. I also find the sound a little clinical . As for laserdisc , last night , I watched my 'Tron' boxset laserdisc - ok , it's just plain vanilla THX DS but it can put out some great aural acrobatics and the picture is superb. Unlike dvd , the packaging is out of this world with a beautiful box with attractive art work and large format colour brochure - these are true collectors items and also a pleasure to own - If I thought so little of ld's I would have replaced all mine with dvd's but as long as they look as good as they still do , sound as good as they do and come as beautifully packaged as they do(star wars trilogy , the wizard of oz , highlander etc) I'll be proud as hell to be a ld saddo! :)

7. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    As for the query concerning connection of my LD to the sherwoods receiver - I think I may have worded my query badly - I don't intend to try to get 6.1 from my LD player , but I simply would like to connect it to the amp so that I can continue to watch my ld's whether they be dolby surround , thx , dd or dts. My current amp has a rf input which allows this but ld's dying a death means that fewer manufacturers are making provision for connection of ld players :eek:

8. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Ok, ok, I'll come clean. I also have an LD player, the Pioneer 925. I also have the two STAR WARS trilogy box sets. So I guess I'm a saddo too.

Sound wise I'll agree, LD's do sound superior to DVD, but if you tune your setup there's little in it. Picture wise is a different story. Playing Gladiator from a Pioneer 737 on a 46" Tosh RPTV is pure enjoyment, HC at it's very best. Thats not to say I'd replace all of my LD's as I've only replaced two, 5th Element and The Rock with the DVD box set. It's just when you get use to seeing a perfect picture and then go back to a grainy low resolution image it does spoils things a little. Saying that I've just got back from seeing Tomb Raider and have to say that the picture there was very poor aswell. Guess the movie was ****e or else I wouldn't of noticed. Oh well it's a long wait for Lord of the Rings.