1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Treatment

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by @Home, Jun 19, 2005.

1. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I am seriously thinking of having some kind of Laser Treatment done on my eyes. Having worn glasses since I was 10 yrs old I am sick of ‘em.

I have been looking @ the various places and Treatments but am a bit confused.
    So I was wondering if anyone on here has had it done or is also considering having it done?
    How successful is it, I would not to have to wear specs again. Does it hurt?
    Can you recommend a good place to have them done?

What do you think?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. cdrider

cdrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    If you have a look at Ultralase.co.uk they have a forum on there which is helpful. I like the diaries that people who have had the treatment put up so you can get a feel of what's involved.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Are you suitable for contact lenses ?

5. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Yes I am.

I only wore the one contact Lens. So maybe I would only need treatment for the one eye?

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Personally I wouldn't consider having anything like this done to my eyes, but then again I've not had the inconvenience of having to wear specs. I'd be so nervous of them screwing something up, if that happens you are stuck with it for life :eek:
    Is wearing a contact lens such a problem ?

7. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    Had the epi-lasik procedure done last October at Optimax in Leeds, both eyes at the same time, best thing I have ever done, that said, its your eyes and there are always risks involved so do a bit of home work and prepare yourself if things don't work out as you expect.

8. temsy

temsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have to agree 100% with Zone.
    Had mine done (both) Christmas 2003, at Maxivision Manchester, best thing I ever did.
    Took me over 18 months to actually make the decision.

9. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been half condidering it but I did hear stories of it causing problems later in life

10. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    aaahhh,dont worry about that,in another 10 years or so we will probably be able to have new eye balls grown for us anyway so we can even have a couple of spares ;)

Had my eyes done back in January and one of the best things Ive ever done.Definatley reccomend it.I went with Advanced vision care in Harley Street and they were superb.Couple of very attractive ladies there to which helped take you mind off the whole eye balls being sucked out of your skull nightmare :clap:

11. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    I'd be VERY interested to hear about this.

Because there is zero clinical evidence of problems developing in later life from the tens of thousands of people who've had laser treatment in the USA over the last 20+ years.

All these stories are just hearsay. Chances are that someone will read your post and go elsewhere continuing the myth that "I heard it can cause problems in later life". :rolleyes:

Of course all medical procedures carry risk*, but once the operation has been successfully completed there is no more risk to your eyes than if you'd never had the op. You'll still be subject to the exact same age-related changes in your vision as someone who had never had treatment.

* For instance, PRK treatment is likely to lead to scarring and haze at night. People who have larger levels of correction to their sight may end up with some "Halo" effects around lights at night. I've not had any of these problems, but then I had LASIK done. I wouldn't touch PRK with a bargepole.

12. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    Good site here listing the numerous companies offering these procedure and the experiences of their respective customers!
    For any one considering any eye surgery then I cannot strongly recommend that you do some homework first!

13. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    does anyone know what the long term consequences are..?

I mean, our eyes deteriate at a certain rate over time (defed by genetics I guess) - then putting them back to a potential 20/20 vision - wouldn't they then simply start to deteriate again..?

14. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    Simply, yes!
    The eyes will continue to deteriate in the usual way, though from what I've read most eyesight errs towards longsighted in older age so reading glasses will more than likely be needed eventually.

15. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,822
    Your eyes will go through exactly the same age-related deterioration as anyone else.

As Zone rightly says, this usually means longsightedness. You will also have exactly the same chance of developing cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration and other chnronic eye conditions as would have been the case if you'd never been treated.

There is AFAIK no clinical evidence whatsoever to tie in laser treatment with higher chances of developing eye problems in later life.