1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser printers - length of toner life

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by daveb975, Oct 28, 2005.

1. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I am looking at buying a cheap (£50) Samsung laser printer.

I only use a printer occasionally when I work from home, so don't want to get an inkjet, and find that the ink keeps drying up all of the time.

Will lasers be any better with this?

2. cmcg55

cmcg55
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Miles better. I used to have an HP laser at home and didn't use it much - the original toner cartridge was still in it FOUR years later when I sold it.

3. mh123

mh123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
  4. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    Dave, a friend of mine has a HP Laser, He gets them from work They are a little bulky. I have bought a few from his and well the toner has done more than 5 months and still running stroung. He has one at the moment for £15 ( second hand) . If you want i could have a word for you.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If you buy from new bear in mind the first toner that is supplied with the printer is only about 1/3 full. This true for Lexmark, Dell, HP etc.
    Still should last a good few months though.

6. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I got a HP laserjet4L in 1994. Not used a great deal, but probably a couple of packets of A4 per year. Still on the original cartridge. We've had to give the cartridge a shake a couple of times and it's getting a bit ropey now.

7. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Dave,

I've got a Dell 1100 (Samsung ML-1610 clone - presumably the one you're considering ?). Refilling is easy (£7.99 a pop) BUT the supplied cartridge is a 'starter cartridge' (1,000 pages equivalent) with no refilling hole as per the proper non-starter carts. I did manage to do my first refill last week by partially dismantling the toner hopper but it was a bit messy. Ultimately, I'll have to stump up for a 'proper' (3000 page capacity) cart at some point (~£40 ?) but that should then refill between 3 - 10 times, acc. to Consumable Café. Deffo better print quality than an inkjet and cheaper whichever ever way you look at it.

HTH,
    Mike.

8. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    I have one of the cheap sammy lasers. The starter cart lasted about a year of regular printing and i am on my proper one now which i have had for about a year and it is still printing top quality even with toner save on. A freind got one of the better sammy ones for about £300 and he prints tons of junk (around 100+ pages 60%+ covered a week) and he is still on his original in 3 years.

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'd never refill my toner cartridges again. I bought some refills off a seller on Ebay, and after that, the performance of my OKI printer went downhill. The print quality suffered, and then the paper started sticking to the fuser drum. It's not as if the refills saved me anything, because I ended up throwing half of it away.

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    If you want black text then laser is the way to go, faster cheaper better!

If you want colour then you need inkjet for cheap and large, with very good detail.
    Or you could get one of those photo printers which only print small but give a nice pic.

Colour lasers are no good for photo, but are fine for graphics and desktop pubishing clip art (does anyone still use this?) sort of stuff. Plus they are fast compaired to the above.