Laser printer for home

Veni Vidi Vici

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their inkjet printer for a laser printer? I have a inkjet but because I use it so sporadically the ink always dries up so I'm wondering if a laser printer would be better long term.

Kind of. Have a Canon Ink jet and also got fed up of the ease with which the cartridge seem to dry up. Bought a Samsung B&W laser and it's truly awesome and all I use for text printing etc. I rarely print colour and when I do its just for photos which I think still looks better on ink jet.

Hadn't printed anything since I put new cartridges in a few months back. Printed 30 A4 colour pages, most of cartridges flashing empty now. Samsung can do 5000 B&W pages on one cartridge.

Kind of. Have a Canon Ink jet and also got fed up of the ease with which the cartridge seem to dry up. Bought a Samsung B&W laser and it's truly awesome and all I use for text printing etc. I rarely print colour and when I do its just for photos which I think still looks better on ink jet.

Hadn't printed anything since I put new cartridges in a few months back. Printed 30 A4 colour pages, most of cartridges flashing empty now. Samsung can do 5000 B&W pages on one cartridge.

What does it cost to replace the laser cartridge?

Yep we did this last year.... for the same reason as you. Was only an occasional user and the drying up of inks was crazy. Spent more time running nozzle cleaning than printing. Anyhow, ended up with one of these when they were on ebuyer at £89

Dell 1350CNW Colour Laser Printer

Good printer, I've even put printed photos in frames- although these do not at all replace a photo printer! I use Costco for prints now.....

Ooh I know this one - Cliff?

I picked up a Mono Samsung this time last year for the house and it has been flawless. I think it is an M2835DW. Printing in colour wasn't important for me, I print a few times a week and the stock toner is still at about 94%.

I picked up a Mono Samsung this time last year for the house and it has been flawless. I think it is an M2835DW. Printing in colour wasn't important for me, I print a few times a week and the stock toner is still at about 94%.
Same here, much better than inkjet anytime (a lot cheaper too).

Samsung has been great for me. Wireless functionality is spot on. No issues

I went B&W Laser about 18 months ago.

The colour inkjets always used to dry up due to lack of use or the ink ran out every time I printed and cost a fortune.

HP 1102.

I use a mono laser printer in my office at home, its used a fair bit each day and the cartridges cost me about £6 delivered from eBay every few months. Its quick, quiet, reliable and dirt cheap to run. I think the printer itself was only about £60 aswell.

yes for a samsung colo(u)r laser with scanner - never looked back and regret not doing it sooner

Has anyone replaced their inkjet printer for a laser printer? I have a inkjet but because I use it so sporadically the ink always dries up so I'm wondering if a laser printer would be better long term.

Yes,for the very same reason you're stating..i went with this one

What does it cost to replace the laser cartridge?

The cheaper colour laser printers are generally more expensive in catridges than inkjets. But if you're having to chuck catridges away through lack of use then it may work out cheaper - and running costs probably aren't too big a deal in the first place.

I bought this one from ebuyer when it was on offer for just under £90, a full set of carts (non sell ones) are just under £30 from Amazon.

Very happy with the printer.

I used to use inkjets, then tried one of those Dell 1350's mentioned above. Tesco had it on offer at £50 (few years back now) and I used to run it with cheap refills from ebay. About £20 a toner IIRC. But the genuine Dell toner did last longer and worked better, leaked less.
I think I used it for about 2 years, needed cleaning quite a bit, which is messy and time consuming. But I remember the pain I used to go through with my old inkjets too.

In the end the Dell died, so now I have a new HP inkjet using their ink subscription service. The cartridges are small and don't last too long, which helps as you don't throw away a full cartridge with blocked nozzles. Not had one dry up yet. Always have one posted out to us before it's needed.
I haven't added up how much this is costing me versus the old way of buying your own ink or toner. But that is not the point. It's the convenience of having a printer that is always ready to print, doesn't dry up, doesn't run out.

I have had wireless printers in the past and I always had problems with them, I'm going to get a cheap non-wireless laser printer I think

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom