Question laser DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Anthonyplace, Jan 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Anthonyplace

Anthonyplace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have been using DLP projectors for years in a dedicated theatre room that is completely dark. I started with a Davis Cinema One and the through various ones to currently a Optoma HD50

Now I am looking around for something new

I see the rainbow effect from time to time and find it annoying

I thought LED DLP projectors would be the answer with there much higher speed sequential colour switching but development of LED DLP Projectors seem to have stopped never having achieved the brightness needed

I always wanted a 3chip DLP projector but they are still far too expensive

Now the question I have been looking at everything I can find out about Laser lit DLP projectors I find that these generally have a spinning phosphor coated disk to generate red and green and a laser to generate blue

I cannot find anything about the rainbow effect on the laser DLP projectors is the problem solved ?
    I have spent hours googling to find any articles about laser DLP light engines there is almost nothing to read

Any one on here with any knowledge on laser DLP?

2. unreel

unreel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Looking on AVS forums there is a guy reporting they see Rainbow effects on the Optoma UHZ65 Laser Lit 4k DLP

"My UHZ65 arrived today, and I got a chance to unbox it and get it up and running at work! First impressions? REALLY, REALLY good! It has a LOT more brightness than I was expecting...images have plenty of "pop" on the screen (at work I have a smaller 110" 2.35" Screen Innovations Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen, slightly older model). I do not have complete light control, so I will have to wait to evaluate contrast, but it seems really good in the room I have to work with.

If you are sensitive to the "rainbow" effect, you will notice them on this projector. It's no worse than I have seen before, but especially when looking at menus, you can see them if you are looking. When watching a movie, almost no problem at all...again, if you are sensitive it MIGHT be an issue, but most people probably won't see it...at least when viewing a movie."

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...0777-optoma-uhz65-4k-laser-4-500-msrp-32.html

3. Anthonyplace

Anthonyplace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks for that

4. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,933
    I think the only DLP thought to reduce rainbow effect is the RGB LED DLP which can cycle the LEDs faster than a mechanical wheel. I don't think there is any reason for laser DLP to perform any better than lamp DLP.

5. Anthonyplace

Anthonyplace
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have never had anything but DLP but think I will change to a Sony nex t time VPL-HW65ES I think then no more rainbows

6. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    I've seen a few LED DLP's from Optoma and did notice the RBE

If you have a dedicated blacked out room I'd certainly consider skipping the Sony's and looking at the JVC's - no RBE and best blacks in the game.

7. dms

dms

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I've always had DLP projectors and am used to rainbows which I see a fair bit. Now I'm going 4k I was considering the Optoma UHZ65 but the reports I read online dragged up the rainbow and I also saw the colour wheel isn't the same as on my current Infocus IN80. What I understood from that was that rainbows on the Optoma UHZ65 would be worse.

Though the wife and I have lived with the rainbows for years when they are particularly grating is when guests come to see a film and ask if there is something wrong with the picture or "was there just a weird flash"? I tend to find it more people notice it on films they have seen before or during demos when they are not concentrating on the film as much and are likely to be distracted / turning their heads.

The only place near me which demo's projectors does the Sony range (having just ditched JVC) and although I didn't do a side-to-side with my existing DLP the Sony image (particularly the 550) was very impressive. I guess I'd hoped to be impressed on being shown 4k HDR against a 9 year old DLP!

In the end the idea of a picture I liked and not seeing another rainbow again was enough to persuade me Sony was the way to go (not that I've bought one yet, they are pricey!).