1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser Disc dropout

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Jun 17, 2001.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few laser discs that seem to have developed what appears to be dropout (black flecks and sparkles)across the picture.

I was surprised, although some of these disc are 6 years old. It seems to mainly on titles released by Warner Home Video.

Anyone else experience this? Is it poor manufacture? Do LD and DVD's as a medium have a finite shelf life?

Any thoughts anyone?

2. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like laser rot.Some laser discs were quite badly manufactured and after a while the symptoms you describe began to manifest themselves.Apparantly they were poorly sealed during construction and moisture gets into the substrate (or something like that).There is a similar problem happening with some dual layer dvds (dvd rot or rsdl delamination).In both cases the studios and disc manufacturers pretty much deny it's existance and won't replace discs.Laser discs were never really a mass market format so the problem didn't get publised much.However dvds are mass market,so I think a lot of people out there have useless rotted dvds that they will only find out about when they watch the complete film ( watching the 1st 10 mins or skipping through doesn't reveal the problem)I have had 3 rotted laserdiscs and 2 rotted dvds (as far as I am aware).I should point out that I look after all my discs well.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you contacted the studio that made the dvds and supplied them with the discs, if not how are they going to sort out the problem.

BTW: Which discs ?

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laser Rot is typically coloured speckles over the whole screen, gradually getting worse over time. It's caused by poor manufacturing processes that allow the metal reflective layer to deteriorate. The single worst studio for Laser Rot was Columbia Tristar. There was one US pressing plant in particular that literally couldn't produce a disc that didn't rot.

Warner also produced a sizeable number of LDs that died of rot some time later (my Under Siege 2 lasted about a year). There were also a couple of issues with some of the earlier Fox releases.

Black speckles are usually either a true 'dropout' where the player cannot track the signal properly for that teeny tiny fraction of a second or simply dirt on the print.

5. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    CW 2000,Hi,the studios are not interested in either laser rot or dvd rot,they pretty much deny the existance of both.The only hope you have got if this happens is the retailer who sold it to you.I did actually get a refund for one of my rotted laserdiscs thanks to a sympathetic retailer(who sadly went bust).I think dvd rot will become a major problem (although I hope not because it is amazingly annoying).I bet most of the readers of this website have got a rotted disc in their collection that they are not aware of (although again I hope not).
    The lasers were Air force one,Sense and Sensibility and To Die For.The dvds (so far)Aliens and The Matrix.

[ 21-06-2001: Message edited by: meva ]

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dirk, don't even bother looking for Eraser on LD. This was one of the worst titles Warner ever released. Everyone I know who bought it lost it to rot.

DVD rot isn't really rot. It usually affects dual layer titles and the problem most often occur around the layer-change point at the outside edge of the disc. Again ,it's down to poor manufacturing but rather than 'rotting' like LDs it's merely the two surface layers becoming out of sync or too far apart or near for the laser to track properly.

Warner (again) had problems with the first release of Contact, but subsequent pressings were OK. Same with Three Kings.

The only other dud DVD I've had was Zardoz, but the replacement from Dv-Depot was fine.

7. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your feed back everyone.

So far to my knowledge, the following laser discs in my collection are "fubar" through "laser rot".

Under Siege 2, Fire Down Below & Eraser.

Looks like I'll have to replace them. It's still very annoying considering my oldest disc "Dawn of the dead" on the "Republic" label is still perfect despite heavy use.