Larry Coryell, jazz guitarist

Philly112

Distinguished Member
The great jazz guitarist Larry Coryell has passed away at the age of 73. He was an outstanding guitarist, capable of playing just about anything. I grew up listening to him develop in the 1970's, when he was unfortunately in the shadow of John McLaughlin for much of the time.
I was lucky enough to see him play a couple of times at Band on the Wall in Manchester. The second time I saw him was in a band with Billy Cobham (drums) Birelli Lagrene (guitar) and Richard Bona (bass) - all fine musicians. After the second encore, the band had had enough and were leaving the club. But as the applause continued Coryell turned round and motioned Cobham to come back and play a duet with him. Cobham pointed at his watch and shrugged and continued out of the door. So Coryell just picked up his guitar and continued to play standards for another 45 mins. There was no need, he'd been playing already for 2.30 hours. He just wanted to play some more.

RIP Larry Coryell.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom