Larger-than-most 65in TV recommendations

cyberspectre

Novice Member
Hi everyone!

After 8 years with my Panasonic E50, I'm finally upgrading to a new panel. Anyone want to lend a hand in picking one out? Here's what I'm looking for.

• $550 or less with shipping
  • No less than 60 inches wide (horizontally, not diagonally -- counting bezel width, 63 inches would be ideal to fill the space)
  • 4:4:4 chroma subsampling @ 60hz would be a huge plus, over HDMI or DP
  • Do not care about built-in apps whatsoever, none would be fine
  • 4K isn't a must, since my Rotel receiver is 1080 and I'm not upgrading that. I COULD take advantage of 4K if the TV has an optical audio pass-through that doesn't downmix to stereo. Even more perfect would be pass-through via HDMI; no compression that way. But I'd settle for the first option. Any 4K TV with this goes to the top of the list.
Aside from these main criteria, I would appreciate deeper blacks than I get on my old E50.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Dodgexander

• 4:4:4 chroma subsampling @ 60hz would be a huge plus, over HDMI or DP
Every TV has that support via HDMI now. No TV has Display Port connectivity.
  • 4K isn't a must, since my Rotel receiver is 1080 and I'm not upgrading that. I COULD take advantage of 4K if the TV has an optical audio pass-through that doesn't downmix to stereo. Even more perfect would be pass-through via HDMI; no compression that way. But I'd settle for the first option. Any 4K TV with this goes to the top of the list.
There are no larger TVs that are HD only now. The only option is UHD. Every TV is capable of passing audio via optical, all TVs pass Dolby Digital 5.1, most TVs pass DTS 5.1 too. LPCM is always going to be limited to stereo though, as this is a limitation of the connection.

I'd suggest going for the new Vizio V series: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tvs/60-inch-tvs/pcmcat1514910288859.c?id=pcmcat1514910288859

Its reasonably priced for a new TV and carries the same spec as the other TVs in the above link. If you wanted better smart TV, one of the LGs would be suited. The only real advantage they have over the vizio is lower input lag, but the input lag on the Vizio is already by far low enough.

The Vizio fits you better because 1. Supports 1440p at 60hz over HDMI which the LGs lack. 2. Its smart system is pretty basic compared to LG and you stated you do not care for smart features.

Just bear in mind, 60" panel size TVs are almost exclusively using VA type panels, that is usually a good thing, but if you need wide viewing angles you may be better off looking at TVs at different sizes with IPS type panels instead.

Top Bottom