larger speakers more bass, am i correct?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mick23, Jul 25, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    to explain, i have 3802,cdm1nts,speakers set to small,sub yes,connected (lfe only) ordered average white band cd for friend,played cd using direct mode with 3802, (the cd is not that bassy in content) my mates got yamaha ax592+bw602s3 purley sterio set and uses direct mode when playing cds, your speakers are do not give as much bass as mine he remarked, so i set 3802 front speakers to large lfe+main (no sub) bit more bass but not much, some time later he phoned to say on his system using direct mode there was much more bass than he heard on mine, his 602s3 speakers have a larger cabinet than than my cd1nts i assume thats where the (more bass comes in) i used to have the sameamp (ax592) and i think the cdm1nts are not that (bassy a speaker anyway) am i correct in assuming the above thank you

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe!

I've never heard the two side by side (in fact I don't think I've heard the CDM1NT at all), but it wouldn't surprise me that the 602, with it's bigger driver and cabinet, has more bass.
    That doesn't necessarily mean better bass though - if speakers were judged simply on that basis, we'd all have a £50 set of tower speakers from RS. I suspect that your speakers may have more subtle quality advantages over the 602s - a fact which may not be that apparent though with this type of recording.

Have a try with a more modern higher quality recording and see what you think.

Also, it's not just the speakers involved here.
    Although the amp is the same (and we hope Denon's quality control is such that there aren't any real differences), you don't say whether the CD player is - the source player can also make a big difference especially on the subtler points. May not be as readily apparent as the speakers in many cases, but it's still an issue.

Finally, it could simply be that the CDM speakers really aren't that much better than the 600 range - perhaps they have the sloped cabinet, pod style tweeter and real wood finish, none of which may necessarily translate into better sound. If that's the case, it may be a bit like comparing the 602s with their smaller siblings the 601s.
    If you eliminate everything else, and you still feel his speakers are better, see if you can borrow them for an evening, and get them round to your place for a good test - you may be surprised at the differences your listening room can make!

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    bought cd player nad 540 some time ago both friend and i heard cheap and dearer sony models, heard nad540 and the arcam cd player the £400 model through arcam a85 using mark knopflers golden heart cd as material, we both thought there was no real differance to choose between cd players (got nad for £199 ex demo +qed interconnect) and arcam cd at £400, my friend has his speakers (one in a corner ,right up against the wall, havent heard his 602s3 with awb cd in his home yet might be that he is discribing boom boom as more bass, he has yamaha cd player about £230 mark ps heard nad with cdm1nts in the hi fi shop,the nts do tend to show up a (ropy recording though) if playing eagles hotel califonia good sterio sound other cds like pets sounds come out awful, my speakers are either side of tv about 45" apart which is not ideal anyway