1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large, small, and LFE too

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by FunkyMonkey, Mar 28, 2003.

1. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    If I have 5 speakers set to large without a sub, the LFE channel goes into them cos they are set to large.

When I get sub and set SUB=YES on amp, this will send LFE to sub.

Should I retain satellite settings as large? I want to retain the bass that is MEANT to coem from satellites within the satellites.

However, I want the sub to handle bass for music.

With all this in mind, will my setting up be all about teh level of crossover from normal sub to LFE mix??

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What speakers have you got?

I would recommend only setting to Large if you have say floorstanders. Anything smaller, - ie all in one sat system- set to small.

If your speakers can handle 80hz and below, then use large.

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    If you have a sub then almost all the time you should keep all of the other speakers set to Small. The only exception is if some of your main speakers have a frequency response that officially goes all the way down to 20Hz or below.

It can sometimes be useful to set the cross-over frequency to less than 80Hz where floorstanders are concerned, but it often isn't for reasons that I don't currently have the time to go into....

4. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks for the advice guys. I have Tannoy MX2 fronts, Tannoy MC centre, and Tannoy M2.5 rears.

The bumf says the Tannoys can go down to 48Hz. Even if they can, I ain't impressed with the bass - lack of control as well as lack of depth - hence importance sub should play in music listening.

Having said that - in films, I can feel a bit of rumble with these speakers WITHOUT a sub so they must have some depth to them even though they are all stand speakers.

So, is there a hard-and-fast ruel about which setting to use or should I experiment?