Large screen TV for PC gaming

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Converting my garage to a man cave, I’d originally planned of having a separate set up for my pc with monitor, however space is at a premium and I think I maybe best served as having a large screen tv for my pc/Xbox gaming. I’m looking to get at least a 75 inch tv and will be sat around 2 metres away, on my pc I usually play World of Warcraft and can do quite long sessions. Also play a lot on the Xbox series x as well. Does anybody else do this, what is the quality like, I know OLEDs are very good but not sure about burn in on long sessions in WoW.

basserphil

i have a 2020 lg 8600 86" lcd tv, i sit 5 m away from the screen, gaming on pc, xbox x is fookin incredible.....like you i would like a oled but gaming and screen burn don't sound like a good mix?
its great to have dolby atmos as well, the tv passes it via e-arc, and its a great addition....mines a 5.4.1 setup on a denon receiver.Why not go the whole hog and get philips hue bias lighting for the full effect....when will the expense end???.....lol

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Can highly recommend a big ass tv for gaming,
Iv got a sammy 65q85r and love it !!
How ever its not the best tv only 1 hdmi 2.1 port but doesn't play nicely
Lg's seem to be the best , but have a good look around on the net for what's best.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
i have a 2020 lg 8600 86" lcd tv, i sit 5 m away from the screen, gaming on pc, xbox x is fookin incredible.....like you i would like a oled but gaming and screen burn don't sound like a good mix?
its great to have dolby atmos as well, the tv passes it via e-arc, and its a great addition....mines a 5.4.1 setup on a denon receiver.Why not go the whole hog and get philips hue bias lighting for the full effect....when will the expense end???.....lol
What are movies like? Do you have any pics of your setup?

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Just to add why it doesn't play nicely , , windows will run at 3840x2160 at 60hz/fps all day long , how ever setting it 120hz/fps and freesync it will play , but if and when i restart the pc i loose signal - the only way around it is to pull the hdmi lead out and put it back , ( but this a right pain in ass , as the pc in tucked away in a cupboard and a faff on doing it all the time , so i just leave it 60hz/fps )

not sure if it was down to samsung's firmware and or windows latest version ... haven't tried for a while.
but having said all that the TV is a few years now and their is newer versions anyways..

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
How big is ur room? I went to projector.

i run a 160 inch ultrawide 21:9 screen for PC games
160inch 21:10 screen for games which support that resolution for more height
a 145 inch 16:9 screens for PS4/5 and switch

its been 100x more fun than when i gamed on a 77inch oled or 65'' panasonic 902b or CRG9 monitor or AW3418DW.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
How big is ur room? I went to projector.

i run a 160 inch ultrawide 21:9 screen for PC games
160inch 21:10 screen for games which support that resolution for more height
a 145 inch 16:9 screens for PS4/5 and switch

its been 100x more fun than when i gamed on a 77inch oled or 65'' panasonic 902b or CRG9 monitor or AW3418DW.
Bloody hell it’s not big enough for that mate I’ll be watching from around 2m so think 77-85 is my limit

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Bloody hell it’s not big enough for that mate I’ll be watching from around 2m so think 77-85 is my limit
95'' will be good. i did it from that distance.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
did you finish your man cave ?
First fix done, waiting for some pipe work to be moved then start of August it’s should be done, I’ve had some crazy quotes, these builders are on crack for a 4.5m by 2.75m room. Lad at work is a joiner so him and his mate are going to do it, I have a plasterer mate as well. Then I’ll be waiting for Black Friday sales to get everything, all the words etc will be in so just a case of wiring it all up.

HRL

Just to add why it doesn't play nicely , , windows will run at 3840x2160 at 60hz/fps all day long , how ever setting it 120hz/fps and freesync it will play , but if and when i restart the pc i loose signal - the only way around it is to pull the hdmi lead out and put it back , ( but this a right pain in ass , as the pc in tucked away in a cupboard and a faff on doing it all the time , so i just leave it 60hz/fps )

not sure if it was down to samsung's firmware and or windows latest version ... haven't tried for a while.
but having said all that the TV is a few years now and their is newer versions anyways..

Disable Fast Startup in Windows. Had the same issue myself but completely fixed after that.

Something to do with Fast Startup using a hybrid hibernation and screwing up the drivers. It looks like it’s restarting but it’s not really.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Disable Fast Startup in Windows. Had the same issue myself but completely fixed after that.

Something to do with Fast Startup using a hybrid hibernation and screwing up the drivers. It looks like it’s restarting but it’s not really.
Thanks i'll give this a try tomorrow ,
one thing to note as well . even changing from game to an other does the same , ( i loose connection/display ) but yea i'll give this a try
would be nice to have 120hz option , but tbh , im happy with 60fps at 4k.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom