Large screen recommendation

Tomgone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Good evening all,

Been following a number of threads here as we are looking for a new main screen for living room. We have a nice, large, dark coloured and dedicates wall, so 75-77" seems to be a good place to look (could even take larger screen). We have not been in a hurry and following some advice on here I was hoping to wait until sales in a couple of months when hopefully the current models drop in price. However, current telly (50" Panny plasma which have done us great) is playing and seems to be on its last legs up so might have to accelerate the buying process :)

Seating positions are 3-4m from the screen and sound is "not important" as we have both Sonos and a separate AV setup - screen would be wall mounted. Sources are SkyQ, Netflix, Amazon Prime and DVD (will be replacing DVD player as well) - all 4k and have fibre so streaming is no issue. Primary watch is either movies or sport, so motion quality is key. Movies are normally watched at night so a fully dark room, but of course sports are normally daytime - room is quite bright. Younger parts of family watches Netflix/Prime series but they are happy with anything :)

Budget wise - happy to spend "enough" to get a good quality set which will ideally last us a few year (appreciate "future proof" is not easy :)). Having following a number of discussions etc. here shortlist is probably something like;

LG 77" C9 - still expensive but seems to tick all boxes - a few places have the 77" C8 (C9 £6999 and C8 £4699)

Samsung 75" Q90R - really like the One Connect concept and much keener price (£3999)

I have been able to view both of these side by side, but the setup was not great so couldnt really see much difference between them and shop was busy so could have a proper look. Had a quick look at a Sony (they didnt have the 75" AG9 but a few others) but couldnt glean how user friendly Android was.

Other potential is the Samsung 75" Q950R (£5399) which seems to get good reviews but again not been able to view it - 8k though....

Trying to find a place where I can get to do a proper viewing of at least LG and Samsungs.

In the meantime welcome any views/suggestions/recommendations - is it "worth" spending the extra on the C9, is the 8K Samsung an option, am I missing any obvious options, etc :) After reading many threads clearly there is an element of "eye of the beholder" :)

Many thanks and have a good evening
Tom

My suggestion if you don't need wide viewing angles would be the Sony XF9005 if you can still get hold of one, failing that the new XG9505.

Once you get to 75" and larger OLEDs cost quite a premium compared to LCDs usually to justify the cost and the Samsung LCD/LG OLED models whilst good will still not have fantastic motion compared to Sony's.

Once you get to the higher end Samsung's you're looking at you do get things over the Sony's that they do better, namely more striking, brighter HDR but in most cases people won't be using exclusively HDR content and they aren't going to be any better than the cheaper Sony's with most content.

All TVs have their pro's and cons and you have mentioned already Android TV isn't a great Operating System, but then on the other hand with the Sony's you get better motion and dolby vision HDR support.

So really it boils down to how much you care about viewing angles, how important very good striking HDR performance is compared to very good HDR, how important smart TV is to you, which dynamic meta data format HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision and also how much you are about value for money compared to paying the extra and getting closer to money-no-object territory.

Many thanks, and makes very good sense. Motion is key for me as I/we watch a lot of sport/movies, and to be honest I am not overly bothered about the SmartTV functionality per say - the current set is only really a monitor as the sources manage the "smartness". HDR will be important going forward, but again agree with you it will not be exclusively HDR content, so screen needs to cater for SDR as well.

Will definitely go back and look again at Sony as well. Dont know enough about the importance of the different HDR formats, read as much as I can, so it does seem sensible if possible to have a screen that covers all formats if possible.

Budget wise, definitely want value for money, even if that means spending a little more, but dont want to throw money away either.

Really appreciate the feedback and will try and get a proper demo lined up with the screens mentioned so far including the Sony.

Many thanks!
Have a great day
Tom

If you want value for money then the Sony models are definitely going to be better for you given your want of the best motion.

If you really like the Samsung models though you could always try and see if there is a store willing to let you test the motion of the TVs. Hard to find somewhere nowadays that will let you do that with a variety of sources but if you do test it and you feel its good enough for you, then you will be happy with those models. Although there is little value to be found in the Q90R or Q950R right now, they are great TVs but the extra cost isn't justified compared to the Q80R or Q70R.

Trying to get a viewing/testing session arranged with a couple of the contenders at least. Been reading about the Sony's and like what I have read - we dont need real wide angles so dont think this will be an issue (only thing I have read there is a caution on the Sony).

The wall is large where we will fit screen and it would happily take an 85" so feeling tempted (pre-testing!) on the Sony 85" 9505 at the moment - £1500 less than the 75" Samsung Q950R.

Had not looked properly at the Q80R/Q70R and again there are lots of options there saving quite a chunk of monies.

Need to get to a store where they have a handful of these hooked up at least to SkyQ as that is primary source and see what is what.

Again many thanks for your kind feedback!
Tom

Update; I managed to get a viewing of the Sony and the Samsung side by side (they had a smaller LG C9 as well) and I found both excellent. The Sony had slightly smooth (to my eye) movement so it was a close run. I think I edged towards the Sony but with some family input the One Connect and the Samsung UI took it, so now a proud owner of the 75in Q90R - they did have the Q70R as well but decided to go a little crazier and go for the Q90R.

Thank you Dodgexander for the kind information and help, really helped! Screen is super and will be wall mounted in the near future - have left it on stand (which I like as well) for the short term.

Update; I managed to get a viewing of the Sony and the Samsung side by side (they had a smaller LG C9 as well) and I found both excellent. The Sony had slightly smooth (to my eye) movement so it was a close run. I think I edged towards the Sony but with some family input the One Connect and the Samsung UI took it, so now a proud owner of the 75in Q90R - they did have the Q70R as well but decided to go a little crazier and go for the Q90R.

Thank you Dodgexander for the kind information and help, really helped! Screen is super and will be wall mounted in the near future - have left it on stand (which I like as well) for the short term.
Good to hear. Its all subjective but its good to hear a balanced point of view. Often people will say Sony's motion processing is a lot better than Samsung but its clear as you have said, differences are very small.

Hope you enjoy the new TV!

Both screens were excellent and would have been happy having either. It was hard to get a good comparison though as expected, and was lucky to find a shop with an enthusiast.

Again though, super help and couldnt be happier - loved the F1 this weekend in wonderful high def.

Many thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom