Large Screen OLED - G1 vs A90J

GAmbrose

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 65" LG C9 but we'll be moving house shortly and have the opportunity to get a proper large screen OLED. Either a 77" or 83"

Always been an LG fan, since they make the panels and seem the most feature rich for the cost.

I'll be keeping the C9 as my gaming TV, and was going to buy another TV for mainly Sky Q/Streaming/4K UHD Blu-rays

I'm sure it's splitting hairs but the reviews seem to indicate that the Sony A90J is the better screen for everything other than gaming.

However people in the Sony A90J thread have posted some negatives about it, such as:

But then I hear the LG is having issues with eARC this year? And I already find the eARC on the C9 quite annoying sometimes.

Can anybody give me a rundown with the current issues? And ultimately does it matter if firmware updates are expected to fix a lot of these?

I don't want to spend £5000-6000+ on a TV that I won't be happy with!

Last edited:
Comes down to pricing.

At the moment, Sony 2021 OLEDs are still lacking on the app store front plus near black issues. Personally I think A90J is overpriced. Panasonic JZ1500 will come out as the winner for overall PQ but they don't do 77 and no D+.

I think LG C1/G1 could fit your bill (if you calibrate) unless Sony decides to drop the 83A90J to £5000 mark.

Somebody in the AJ90 thread seems to think a price drop is coming on those TVs in 2 weeks

I'm in a similar boat - upgrading from the same TV, but limited to 77" due to room size.

My local Currys had the C1 and both the A90J and A80J on display. Managed to crash Android on the A90J by giving it the arduous task of playing a file from my USB stick. Curiously the A80J was fine.

Whilst I don't like LG's new WebOS 6, I REALLY don't like the new Android TV interface, which has now come to the XH91 in my sitting room - the old one was much better.

I'm probably going to go for the C1, the one thing I really liked about the A90J was that I could wire it into my receiver as the centre speaker - but that's not enough to overlook the crappy OS

And what happened when you put the same usb In The LG? Probably didn’t even recognise it 😂

if you use you’re tv with usb sticks avoid the LG!

And what happened when you put the same usb In The LG? Probably didn’t even recognise it 😂

if you use you’re tv with usb sticks avoid the LG!

It played it absolutely fine - as has the 6, 7, 8 and 9 series I’ve owned at various times

So what format is your usb stick? USB’s should be exfat as it’s designed for memory sticks!

LG’s don’t do exfat. Maybe that’s how you managed to crash the Sony?

NTFS

Maybe that’s the reason then! Android tv is so versatile compared to webos!

plus the c1 isn’t in the same class as the A90j

Maybe that’s the reason then! Android tv is so versatile compared to webos!

plus the c1 isn’t in the same class as the A90j

If you say so

Surely you much know this! I’ve got the LG Gx at the moment and you have to use the built in media player to play your files. Kodi no where to be seen? No vlc either!

I don’t use them - only the inbuilt streaming apps. Only took the USB with me to see what a DV file looked like on all of them.

I have a Shield for my file playback.

Looking at the A90J owners thread, seems it’s quite unstable. May wait a while and see if a new firmware fixes it, but that new interface is terrible

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom