Large screen LCD with widescreen pc input

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by mannyo, Feb 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    First post here, nice forums.

I am UK based and looking for a large widescreen LCD TV (27-30 inch) that is capable of handling a pc input resolution of either 1280x768 or 1280x720 via the standard vga input or dvi connection.

We have already tried a Toshiba 30WL46B and although this has a screen resolution of 1280x768 the maximum that can be sent from a PC to the dvi connection is 1024x768. I can put 1280x768 in via the standard vga connection but the TV scales the image to 1024x768 resulting in text corruption.

The reason is that I want to hook up my Mediacenter 2005 setup into this connection rather than use S-Video. I currently use svideo into my 32" Sony Widescreen set at a resolution of 1024x576 (UK Pal).

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

2. eddie_talbot

eddie_talbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're at the right forum :)

The Toshiba's inability to handle the full resolution is the one thing that has put me off this set.

You could take a look at the ProLite C300WT (30") or C270WT (27") by Iiyama. Iiyama makes PC monitors and have designed their LCD TVs to take PC input perfectly as well. If you're happy with VGA input only these might be an option.

http://www.iiyama.co.uk/default.asp?SID=&NAV=236&PCAT=0

I have no idea what their picture quality is like because I haven't seen one - most probably quite not up to the par of the Philips and Sharp sets that are raved about on these boards but reasonably good I'd imagine.

3. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thanks for that Eddie.

I have read a review of the viewsonic 30" N3000W, does anyone have any experience of the tv who can tell me what the pic quality is like from the dvi connection with a PC hookup at 1280x768. My TV feed is currently provided by 2 freeview PCI cards in mce2005.

For the tv itself check http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/LCDTV/NextVisionN3000w.htm

4. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right forum :) Why only 1280x768/720? Plenty of screens now support 1366X768, and some like the Sharps can handle VGA at almost that resolution.

5. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I think if I go to much higher the pc graphics card may start having problems with the 25fps required to display uk pal tv. I am using a Gforce FX5500 at the moment.

6. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be right, can you connect it to your PC monitor and see how high it will go?

7. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    it seems ok with that resolution (1280x768) but at the moment cant go higher because my tft monitor doesnt support higher resolutions.

8. shaddow2005

shaddow2005
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I **VERY** nearly bought it as it Seemed to be HDCP also, but then they changed their minds :-( Boo.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188015&highlight=video7

Probably still worth a look, if pc input is your main objective as its only around £850, (other rebadged versions are goodmans (comet) and grundig too) - note the specs may differ.

It's just not going to work with SKY HDTV next year.