Large Screen Android Phone - Suggestions

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Over the last year or two I keep revisiting this and eventually decide to stick with what I have.

I’m not a huge mobile phone user, in fact quite often when I feel the need to use it (look something up or take a photo) I either don’t have it with me or the battery is flat.

I have a Samsung S7 - bought it second hand in Nov 2016. Still works well and does everything I need. This is the issue, each time I think about spending £250-£350 on a replacement I end up saying “why bother”.

The one thing that I would really like is a bigger screen because of my ageing eyesight.

So what I’m looking for is

Android
Large Screen
Must be better than my S7 (otherwise I will regret it as a waste of money)
I don’t play games or run apps that need a lot of processing power or ram
I don’t use it much as a camera, but it is very useful to have one with me
As close to vanilla Android as possible, certainly one that keeps up with Android releases
Depending on model of course, the most I would spend is £300(ish)
Like second hand but has to be in excellent condition
Probably last me another 3-4 years so reasonable spec I guess to support that

As I’m not that much into phones I don’t keep up with the makes and models - just what I see advertised to be honest.

Certainly what I don’t much about are the economy models in each brand.

My own research is saying Pixel 3 XL but much of that is the vanilla android thing which isn’t a must-have.

Interested to hear of others that are worth looking at.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for the heads up, yes I saw that earlier. The dilemma for me is that is in the same region of a good quality used Pixel 3 and although the 3A is new with warranty I think I would prefer the 3 if I can find one.

More interested in knowing whether there are other makes and models that I should be looking at.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for the heads up, yes I saw that earlier. The dilemma for me is that is in the same region of a good quality used Pixel 3 and although the 3A is new with warranty I think I would prefer the 3 if I can find one.

More interested in knowing whether there are other makes and models that I should be looking at.

Cheers,

Nigel

Any reason why you want the 3? The 3a has fantastic reviews and as you say, has a 2 year warranty and will get the 2/3 years worth of updates.

I mean it’s obviously up to you, but the 3a seems to fit the bill.

For the money your looking at spending, the Pixel is probably your best bet. It ticks all your boxes, vanilla android, regular software updates, better than the S7 you’ve got now.

Any reason why you want the 3? The 3a has fantastic reviews and as you say, has a 2 year warranty and will get the 2/3 years worth of updates.

I mean it’s obviously up to you, but the 3a seems to fit the bill.

You may be right. Looking at the differences

CPU - doubt I would notice for what I use it for.
Front camera - don’t care
Plastic back - don’t care

The only issue is the screen, in terms of size resolution and protection - that might have me leaning towards the 3.

Cheers,

Nigel

Pixel 3 is 5.5" but you're probably referring to the XL.

The Pixel 3a XL is £350 so at the top end of what you're wanting to pay, but would give you the bigger screen and battery.

I mean it's obviously up to you but for what you're wanting, value wise I don't think you're going to find better.

Pixel 3 is 5.5" but you're probably referring to the XL.

The Pixel 3a XL is £350 so at the top end of what you're wanting to pay, but would give you the bigger screen and battery.

I mean it's obviously up to you but for what you're wanting, value wise I don't think you're going to find better.

Yes, sorry it is the XL I am looking at. I realise I have been missing the XL off in some of my posts.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom