Large scale backups

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Replicats, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Replicats

Replicats
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently contracted to work for a company where myself and the other editors work off of an internal server (around 40 TB). We're looking to do a backup of the server with reliable physical drives. Large (4 to 8 TB) RAID drives would probably be best. Money is always a consideration, but reliability is more important.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hard drives/experience backing up a large server like this.

Thanks!

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,515
    Hi Replicats and welcome to the forum :hiya:

This type of question would probably get a better response in the Computer section of the forum where there are a lot of IT workers that could give you good advice.
    If you want me to move the thread then I can do that for you.

As an IT pro I can offer some advice.
    Backing up to the cloud is not too expensive now, but the time to upload 40Tb would be long if you don't have an SDSL or ISDN connection with fast upload speeds. There are many unlimited storage services but you do need to continuously pay the subscription or you loose access to your backups.
    If instant access is a requirement then you could backup to a NAS and then store it at another site (if you have one) to protect from fire etc. Or if you have the funds you could set up a mirrored server, but that does need to be at another site.

It all depends on the level of protection and access you are after - plus your budget of course.

Mark.

3. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,858
    That kind of size I've normally done reliably to tape. But either way tape or disk for reliability you are talking big bucks enterprise level equipment I'd suggest. With some nice high speed fibre connections if the source supports that as otherwise it will take a while.

4. doug_1986

doug_1986

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I've run backups on multiple 40tb+ servers for editing from, and there are basically 3 ways - firstly backing up to LTO tape (the best option), secondly backing up to another server of the same capacity (which is expensive but redundant and allows you to edit from), or thirdly backing up to multiple external drives (which is expensive, insecure and hugely time consuming)