Quantcast

Large Room Speaker Set-up

lmoore

Novice Member
Setting up my basement mac-cave area. It is a large open floor plan area with a wet bar on one end. I am planning to have the projector screen on the far corner form the bar and curious about speaker placement for decent/good audio quality at the bar area. I will have a 5.1 system set up for the Viewing Area shown on the floor plan (front speakers at the red line and surround at the green dots), I am wondering if it makes any sense to set up another 5.1 setup back at the bar area, or if that would do weird things to the acoustics? There is a large utility duct running down the center of the room left to right which could be used to "hide" the second set of L/C/R speakers for the bar area. Any thoughts on this approach or a better way to do this? As you may have gathered, I am an AV setup newb so go easy on me :).
0.png

mcbainne

Looking forward to seeing your project progress, is it not possible to reposition the screen on the wall backing onto 'Rooms'?

lmoore

Novice Member
I should have show the doors on there. The only space for a 120” screen on that wall would be right in the corner it’s in. I was hoping by rotating like shown it would be more visible for the rest of the area and open up more options for seating arrangements.

mcbainne

What about flipping the screen and pool table so you can get it flush along the wall. I have in wall speakers and an accoustically transparent screen which gives a nice dicreet install, just my preference

lmoore

Novice Member
No room there. I’ve attached pics of both walls. Sorry for the mess, currently being primed and painted.

Rooms wall:
BFE558A6-894E-4EAE-AA79-F87E33B219FC.jpeg

Other wall:
D5B54136-454D-43AD-9002-AAE2FA4451C5.jpeg

Gasp3621

@lmoore please read post #4 from this link carefully and check the pictures. It can be bit trivial to get the speakers positioned correctly, but this post covers many things quite nicely.

lmoore

Novice Member
That's an awesome read, thanks Gasp! I'll keep that handy when I start setting everything up.

lmoore

Novice Member
Any thoughts on "extending" sound back to that bar area without impacting the viewing area? I should explain further that I'm not necessarily looking for a cinema-type experience back there, but if I have some people over for a football game or something in the fall, I would like to be able to watch and listen in that area without blowing the ears off of anyone on the couch.

lmoore

Novice Member
Anyways, big thanks to Gasp for the link above. Using that as a guideline and with quite a bit of trial and error, I was able to get a corner setup that kept the "room-wide" visibility I was looking for and get the speakers optimized for the viewing area.

Top Bottom