1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large Room/Small Screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by slowe, Apr 25, 2005.

1. slowe

slowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the advantage of a large lounge - 22ft long in which to place a PJ, but a fairly small space above a fireplace for the screen - about 4 ft high, so around 85 inches wide (w/s ratio, of course).

I am looking for a PJ (Panny ae700 or similar up to ~£1,200) and was hoping to be able to place this at the back of the room opposite the screen. I have had a look at the screen size calculator shown elsewhere on the forum, which suggests this distance is too great to be able to get a picture as small as 85".

Is it the case that the picture brightness may also be compromised by such a distance, particularly as the room is not (and probably won't be) well blacked out?

Any help would be gratefully rceeived.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Brightness is compromised primarily by the size of the image, not the distance over which is it projected. The smaller the image, the brighter it should be.

Having said that, the more ambient light you have the more the picture will be washed out. Yor need the room as dark as possible.

Anyway, I wouldn't descibe an 85" x 48" space as "fairly small". :D

...PJ