Large ripples in screen,

lotusman1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, anyone know how to reduce or eliminate the ripples in my electric screen?they run from the top corners down to the middle and when some images scroll across the screen you get a ripple effect.Is it down to the way the screen housing is secured to the ceiling?ie it is only fixed at the ends and not supported in the middle thus there may be a certain amount of flex throughout the whole unit?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards marc.

Almost certainly down to manufacture rather than support. Is it one of the Ellie/NexNix/Owl types (all made by the same Italian company) ??

If so, I had to go through about half a dozen before I found one of acceptable flatness !!!!!!

Small ripples may hang out in time, but larger ones are down to the process used when sticking the material together (also different temperatures affect the curing etc.)

have a search on the forums under "screen ripples" & you'll find plenty of info on the problems that occur at the lower end of the market (i.e. sub £1000 screens)

cheers,
Andy

Can't understand why lots of you guys spend lots of money and still end up with ripples etc.

Untill a reasonably priced screen comes out that does what its supposed to ( hang flat and no curled edges) I will put up with my painted wall.No ripples/curles and a few bob in my pocket.

Unfortunately i can,t use the wall as the screen has to hanh in front of the lounge window.

Similar for me, screen has to drop down in front of plasma, so an electric screen is a must. It is possible to get excellent results from a high end screen, but 4 grand for a Stewart screen with a £1000 projector would be a bit overkill.

The lower priced screens may have their flaws, but most are easily forgiveable when you get £3500 left in the bank !!!!

In actuality, once you get a screen with minimal rippling, when the lights are down & the movies on, you never see the flaws. It's a bit like screendoor, they're there if you want to spend all evening staring from 5 feet away at them, but if you just watch the film, they soon dissapear.

cheers,
Andy

Very true andy,the ripple does'nt bother me enough to warrant changing or upgrading(especially at £4000!)just one those niggles that i thought there may be an easy fix for.

Regards marc.

I have found that if you PVA glue (B & Q) some blackout cloth (haberdashery) to the saggy screen, it dosent ripple,
I of course would not do this on an expensive screen,
but it works well, just make sure the casing can accept the extra thickness, you can stick it to the back of the screen if its a good one or the front if your screen is not great for whatever reason

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom