Large or small

Darkstar_surfer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering, I managed to finish hanging my MA Radius R225's front and R180's rear yesterday and ran the Yamaha 1600 optimizer. It has decide all my speakers are Large. I seem to remember when I ran it for my Veloydne Deco sat's it also decided they were large. I manually set them to small and heard a great improvement. Also it has set the sub's crossover at 40Hz which seems very low.

Well, the R180s spec says they go down to 60Hz, and the R225s down to 50Hz, so 60Hz should be the lowest your crossover goes. 70Hz or 80Hz gives your speakers a bit of leeway, so this is what I'd go for.

IIRC, the 'large' vs 'small' simply says whether the frequencies below you crossover go to the speaker AND the sub (large), or just to the sub (small). There is no real conceivable benefit if your speakers can't play that signal to sending it to them, so set it to small.

My AX 763 setup my 270s as large, and the 225 and 90s as small - I changed the 270s to small as well - not that I could perceive a real difference.

Have you played with the EQ to get a fuller sound on the MA? - loving mine!!

KatTV

I am really happy with the sound just a bit confused why my Yamaha 1600 choice those settings. I have subsequently moved the cross over to 80Hz and set all speakers to small. I also changed the distance to Sub from 5.8M to 3.0M, which is where it sits.

The biggest problem I have just now is I have put my back out and can't sit and listen without screaming in pain. The case of Carlsberg is starting to kick in so I am off to listen to some sobering music and maybe play a movie.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom