Question LARGE or small!?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by volksball, Jun 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. volksball

volksball
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've researched and researched and can't seem to come to a conclusion on what to set my speakers to. Large or small?? And if small, what do I set the crossover at? I have Earthquake Titan Hestias on my wall for L, C, & R. and 4 x Earthquake ECS 8.0 in my ceiling. I'm using an Earthquaje 10" MiniMe V2 Sub. I'm running them all through a Yamaha RX-A760 and trying to create a Dolby Atmos system.

Here are links to the speakers that I'm using:

»www.earthquakesound.eu/h ··· tia.aspx
    »www.earthquakesound.eu/h ··· -80.aspx
    »www.earthquakesound.com/ ··· e-p10-v2

Thanks.

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,922
    Small or large has nothing to do with the physical size of the speaker and in a 5.1 set up there is only one real option and that is small. Even though when you run the room calibration on the Yamaha and it initially detects your speakers as large or full range then to get the best balanced sound they should be treated as small and set as so.

Crossover can be a little more confusing. The best is a crossover for the front three is 80hz, this will send all sound below 80hz to the sub. However, if the room calibration sets the crossover to higher than that then you should not set to any lower. If the Yamaha sets them to 100hz then you must not go below that.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Today it is near universally agreed that regardless of the size of your actual speakers, you set the system to SMALL on the assumption that you let each speaker do what it does best.

Setting the system to small will divert the bass from the Front speakers to the Subwoofer, which is what a Subwoofer does best. But even with large floorstanding speakers in front and the system set to Small, there is still a real gain in terms of the sense of impact and weight coming from the Front Speakers. Though not having to deal with the deepest bass makes the job of the Front speakers easier, and probably contributes to better Midrange.

Some AVRs have a gobal Large/Small setting, some AVRs allow you to set this feature on each channel.

In the Center, setting it to Small can take some of the husky drone from male voices, and clear them up noticeable.

In the Surrounds, there is not a lot there, and Surrounds tend to be small, so really no sense sending deep bass to them.

Most people most of the time set their AVR system to Small.

Steve/bluewizard

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Also, assuming you have a AV Receiver, the first thing you do is run the Setup Program (Audyssey or whatever) and let it work out the details. But, once done, you inspect the results so see that they make sense. Occasionally reflections or poor room acoustics can throw off the Setup Program, but overall it tends to get things pretty close.

Steve/bluewizard

5. volksball

volksball
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much.

6. fayeanddavid

fayeanddavid
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,038
    Fully agree

Important to note that if there are discrepancies on auto set up, then reset manually