Large or small

jimroyale

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all, just updated my speakers to a q7000i, they are small speakers so I should have them set to small on my amp, question is when I do a Yamaha Ypao calibration the centre and rear come back as large and the fronts as small, do I leave it as it is or set all to small? Cheers.

Depends if you have a sub in your setup. Try not to think of large or small as size. Large = full range ie your speakers deal with the lfe of your movie etc. If the speakers are set to small the lfe rolls off at the crossover ypao sets (normally around 80 hz) but this depends on the speakers capabilities and your preferences. Depending on your sub / speakers you can set this higher or lower but i would say generally not ideal to lower it from the ypao setting.

Small. Those speakers cannot handle bass under 80Hz. I take it you have a sub. If so set the crossover to 100Hz, maybe even higher. Do not set the crossover to anything below what the calibration has said, although I am not familiar with the calibration you are using. So go for this. Speakers set to small, crossover 100. Happy listening.

Thanks all, yeah I have the sub that came with the speakers, very helpful cheers..

Just for info purposes, as many people will come across this problem - a microphone doesnt just pick up the sound of your speakers during an auto setup - it picks up the altered sound of the speakers due to the room and wall boundaries. Put any small speaker close to a wall and you get a much greater bass output, which the mic can then pick up as a large speaker. Room EQ generally works on the goal of producing a flat response, and no EQ system (unless programmed to do so) can know what your speaker's natural response should sound like. This must be the next step for EQ, as once an EQ system knows exactly what your speakers are supposed to sound like, only then can it effectively remove what isn't supposed to be there.

Small speakers like the Q7000s should be set manually (after an auto set up is run) to around 80-100Hz minimum. You can then experiment from there for the best crossover point to suit your speakers/sub or preference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom