Large or small?? Here we go again...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ramius, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Ramius

Ramius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mart

I think you have this bang-on correct.

It all depends on your amp/processor your speakers and your sub.

What's right for one setup is not right for another.

I'm having to change my sub because I changed speakers and processor and the sub is now not good enough in any setting (large/small any crossover setting, any position).

If you like the sound it's right

3. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: My head hurts! This proves how a lot of us (not all, a lot of the guys on this forum do know this stuff) in the UK still have a long way to go with our understanding of certain issues compared to the Americans. My set-up is a compromise, I set everything to large BUT all bass is also sent to the sub (a feature of the AVC-A1D) and I set a low value for the roll off. Yes, I miss some of the .1 channel between, say, 60 and 120hz but I can live with that. I take the view that it should be everything small or everything large. As one gentleman correctly pointed out in the article you refer to; if you set your L/R to large and the centre and surrounds to small then the majority of amps will cause the centre and rears to have a better bass response than the L/R because the centre and surrounds will use the sub, the L/R will not!

Why don't I set everything to small? I should do but, given my current sub, certain "real life" sounds (doors opening and closing) sound better with a bit of reinforcement. It's a cheat, but it "works". I believe a better sub would make me reverse my ideas and move to small but I would NEVER mix small and large without the correct bass management (the ability to spread ALL bass from small speakers over the sub and large speakers and for large speakers to use the sub!). I also only ever use the low level input on my sub, too much messing around otherwise.

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: mart.stokes ]

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ramius,

I spent hours yesterday auditioning some new subs with my Lexicon DC1.

No matter what I tried I still kept coming back to all speakers set to Large and the sub set to 40Hz.

Any other setting sounded louder but lacked clarity and control in my room and with my speakers.

I'm not saying this is right for anyone else but me and I admit that the thread you posted sounded very convincing. But my experience contradicted what they were saying.

Since Mart, Duncan and myself have all been battling with this recently and we've all reached similar conclusions maybe UK rooms are too small and the issue of room nulls and standing waves are much more important for us than the Yanks.

My theory is that 2 main speakers driving down to 30Hz L&R produces a smoother more controlled bass in a small room (3x5m in my case) than a £1K sub located at one point in the room. Much the same as claims made for 2 subs....

Haven't tried 2 subs yet. Maybe that's the true solution

See ya,
    Gary

[ 08-04-2001: Message edited by: Gary Palmer ]