1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large or Small debate !!!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paul Dunning, Jan 12, 2001.

1. Paul Dunning

Paul Dunning

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.......normally were told size doesn't matter well it does in my house....well my HC room to be accurate....i am confused Large or Small.........i always thought that you set amp (sony 940) all speakers to small re-directing all bass to sub..........now im hearing that its best on large.........so what cut off settings should be used on sub ????

also can any one help on my sub paradigm pb1000 there is a knob called sub/sat phase allinement what the hell is it and were should it be set to (sorry this is a speaker question !!!)

Paul

p.s also it seems tat still no one can answer what the bass,treble and mid settings mz or kz should be set to on a sony 940 for fronts centre & rears......... there must be someone out there !!!

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,405
    Its one of those things were you have to use your ears, unfortunatly I end up like the bloke on THE FAST SHOW who can never make his mind up.

I found by setting ALL speakers as SMALL the bass was just sent from the sub, and more detail could be heard from the speakers.

But when setting ALL speakers to LARGE the bass is sent EVERYWERE and the detail sometimes becomes swamped.

I can not even rememeber what I have them set out at present.

I have a denon a1d with B&wW 603s2, CC6s2 and 601s2 along with rel q100e

3. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my case I don't have a sub (of course, if I hadn't bought all these DVDs I now own I could have that nice REL I fancy!), so I have my front l/r pair set as large, and the centre as small - 'twas suggested this allows the speaker to concentrate on the mid-range better, and hence all the better for dialog.

I have my rear l/r pair set as large too. One day I'll have a sub and expect to turn all speakers to small. That's the plan anyway!

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Big debate this one.
    If you were a HiFi nut, this woud go on forever.
    I like both, but can never really decide.
    Ideally, I'd have two sets of speakers.
    The small ones for outright quality, the big one for outright fun.
    What do you do?
    It all goes on mood at the time.
    I believe that there is no correct answer, it just depends what you want most of the time.
    My AV uses KEF Q15, 60S and REL Q Bass. In my room they 'sound' large! My HiFi has Celestion A1 that are Big! standmounts that really could be floorstanders a few notches down the money scale, in a room no bigger than my AV room!
    I don't try to understand it, I just listen and enjoy.
    So, does that mean that Arnie blowing the c**p out of bad guy's in my AV room sounds better/worse than AC/DC/Enya on my HiFi system??? [​IMG]

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

[This message has been edited by General Skanky (edited 13-01-2001).]

5. IAMGEOFF

IAMGEOFF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A story.
    New Rel sub - large volume knob turned heavily clockwise.
    Dvd in full flow, an explosion on the soundtrack and the rear of my Mordant Short 208s light up. This is supposed to happen of course with the MS speakers as they have a lamp in there for overload protection. So now my speakers are set to small and even on high volume there are no more unexpected lighting effects.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    That is sooo cool!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery