Large Optical Zoom 3CCD or CCD

JamesU2002

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking for the Largest Optical Zoom available on a decent quality 3CCD or 1 CCD Camcorder.

However, I don't want something as big as an XM2. I have a tripod so that won't stop me.

So basically what’s the largest zoom I can find for the best quality 3CCD or 1CCD Camcorder. Something larger than 10x or 12x.

Thanks

James

www.camcorderinfo.com has a good quick rundown on models per make. The Sonys and Panasonics appear to have the same or roughly the same model numbers as the UK ones (In Panasonics cases the American designation is NV-PS as opposed to NV-GS).

The Panasonic NV-GS35 has a 30x optical zoom.

Big optical zooms on cheap cams are bad news, if you can afford it go for the xm2, the lens is flourite and so suffers from very little in the way of fringing (chromatic abberations where your subject has green and red edges) whereas any cheaper cams will have this.

The XM2 is not a big heavy cam.

Apart from the MX2 do I have any other choice?

The GS400 looks a great cam but only has 12x, can I buy an extra lens to add extra zoom?

Yes, but with teleconvertors you lose light, the xm2 can maintain f2.8 throughout it's zoom range, the second you add a teleconvertor you are looking at an effective f-no of 5.6, so you lose light, maybe adding gain if in low light (so further degradation), and you'll still get fringing.
Buy an XM2, go on, you know you want to.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom