Large MKV movie files play perfectly via USB, exact same file 'not recognised' via DNLA - Win10 media streaming to Xbox One

JimJoiner

Standard Member
I am at my wits end with this. I have ripped my UHD bluray collection to MKV file format, which are stored on my Windows 10 PC. I have set up DNLA media streaming/ file sharing on the PC in an attempt to direct stream/ play the files on my home/ local network, through my Xbox One to my Panasonic JZ2000 TV. So far so good I thought...

I turned on the Xbox, opened the Films and TV app, navigated to media servers and my PC appeared on the list of available servers. Great I thought...

I then navigated to the videos folder which I set up on the PC as the movie host folder and the files appeared. This is going well...

I selected a large, 4K, MKV file and 'CAN'T PLAY, NOT SUPPORTED' appeared. Sh*T, I thought...

I selected another, same thing, then another, then another. Every single one refuses to playback and reports not supported.

I thought I would test a few things so I copied 3 of the so called 'unsupported' files to a USB stick (the exact same files) which I plugged into the front port of the Xbox One, opened the Films and TV app again, found the movie files, clicked on each one in turn and they all played flawlessly in full HDR without issue.

I then added a 1080p mp4 file (not MKV) to the DNLA videos folder on the PC, this played back over DNLA no problem...

So...what do I need to do to playback large 60GB HEVC MKV 4k Bluray rip files on the Xbox One over DNLA which play flawlessly on the Xbox One via USB??

Surely if a file plays perfectly via USB through the Films and TV app on an Xbox, that exact same file should also play flawlessly through the Films and TV app on an Xbox One via DNLA/ stream on a local/ home network from a pc which also plays the file.

Heavily confused!

Many thanks in advance.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Can't answer your question specifically but a work around could be to setup Plex server on your PC and use the app on your Xbox. The UI and features on it are very good.

JimJoiner

Standard Member
Can't answer your question specifically but a work around could be to setup Plex server on your PC and use the app on your Xbox. The UI and features on it are very good.
Would plex play massive 4k files smoothly in full hdr etc? I've heard conflicting reviews on this. Kodi, vlc and media player on xbox are all dreadful. Crashes every 20 minutes, no hdr trigger and washed out colours. Only film and TV player works perfectly and even that is usb only.

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Yep seems to play fine on my Xbox as I've just tested it, seems very fast, no issues with big HDR files either.

I don't really use it for that purpose though as I've got a lot of options for plex: HTPC, Apple TV, Firestick, TV App along with the TV's own built in player.

Give it a try, you might be surprised how good it is, nothing to lose.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom