1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large LCD suitable as simple PC monitor?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by bfrost, Sep 7, 2005.

1. bfrost

bfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm placing a couple of LCD screens, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom, both to work from PC's getting their material from a master media center PC - the latter is now installed and working with a plasma in the lounge. The LCD screens are a dilemma though. I dont need TV functions but there seem to be no 'monitor only' 30-32" displays unless you take an LCD TV. If I do take an LCD TV I want it to power up with the PC input already activated, not to have to press 'AV' or something. No reviews cover such detail, nor do manufacturers manuals. Can anyone comment on which LCD TV might perform here? Or is there another way?
    Bri

2. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    The Samsung LE32R41B does a fantastic job over VGA, looks incredible, and if you leave it on the "PC" input it'll stay there.

It also has a button to go directly to the PC input, if you also use it as a TV. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to support 50Hz over VGA, which it looks like you would want to do if you're playing PAL content.

If you will only be using it for media, you can feed it 1280x720 to be (very slightly) upscaled @ 50Hz. It's perfect for video/games/tv, but not quite sharp enough for long "PC" usage. (small text etc)

3. bfrost

bfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andrew, useful info. Surely the 50Hz VGA issue would not be relevant once the PC was driving the LCD because the scan rate is then fixed isnt it? Even playing PAL from recorded media centre TV would be sent at the PC refresh rate?
    Bri

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    It's probably a bit pricey for you, but how about one of Apple's 30" monitors? 2560x1600 resolution. :eek:

There are also several 23" and 24" displays (e.g. Dell 2405FPW), but I guess that'd be too small.

5. bfrost

bfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I looked the Apple displays - as you say they are pricey and I did think it would be useful to get speakers - if only to perform the center speaker function. There is an amazing price difference between LCD TV's and large monitors though, I guess its supply and demand.
    Bri

6. MikeEvo

MikeEvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are right, the PAL content will be sent to the LCD panel at 60Hz, but because PAL content is recorded at 50Hz when the video card in your PC changes it to 60Hz that can cause stuttering on scrolling text and panning.

It is not really a problem for most people though, I happily view PAL content on a 60Hz display, and I cannot see the stuttering, except on movie credits.

7. Sledge

Sledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sharps will always boot to PC Input as long as their are no other scart devices etc connected and powered on.

If you're only using it connected to a PC then it'll do the job.

8. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    Apple's 30" Cinema displays need dual-link DVI, something I've yet to see on a regular PC video card.

The display can only go up to 1280x800 without it.

9. ThePimpmaster

ThePimpmaster
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for a 32 inch Samsung display, 1366*768 resolution combined with the best clarity and sharpness (the best PC image I've ever seen!). You must have a great job, or a rich wife, because using these TV's in the bedroom and kitchen seems like more than some luxery.