• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Large LCD Monitor for PC

holmesadam2009

Standard Member
Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a new LCD television that will be hooked up to my pc, all the time, and will be using it as my primary monitor, I Was thinking about getting 50" but generally looking for more info...Anybody got any pros/cons for an LCD of this size attachted to a pc...The graphics card I am using is a "NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT" Cheers in advance for any replies...

holmesadam2009.

holmesadam2009

Standard Member
It would be used for everyday computing, Text, graphics, videos, inet, everything really, I'm a Computer Science student so felt the geeky urge to have quite a big monitor...

Thanks for your response

anobium

The only lcd tv's in my opinion that do decent pc use are the samsungs, a lot of the other makes panasonic, sony use enhancments that cant be turned of and spoil the use of pc, not saying samsung are the best for tv watching as there are many better but for multi use you cant beat them.

Trimaxion

Standard Member
There is the Sharp LC46X8 (46") which is a nice tv for the price of £750 from richer sounds.
I have had Sharp Tvs in the past and I was very impressed with them for PC/Consoles, not so much SD, but for computers they are fantastic.
Other brands such as Samsung and Sony are at least £200 more and not that much better really.

Nielo TM

Distinguished Member
It would be used for everyday computing, Text, graphics, videos, inet, everything really, I'm a Computer Science student so felt the geeky urge to have quite a big monitor...

Thanks for your response

that's where the problem starts especially if you're sitting close (due to the size of the pixel).

IMO, you are better off with he Dell 30" or a 40" 1080p Business/Public display

For Example:

NEC Display Solutions - MultiSync® LCD4020

NEC Display Solutions - MULTEOS M40

Sony and Samsung also offer such displays

holmesadam2009

Standard Member
Obviously I am not going to be sitting that close to the screen, about 2/3 metres away, I have had a look at some LCD screens in places like Currys but they have all had demo disks and have not connected to a computer so I have not been able to see the results that it would produce.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

sadbuttrue

Wherever I see people using LCDs, I see a large number of them sitting hunched over the desk with their nose almost touching the screen. The pixels on PC monitors are far too small for those of us with average to poor eyesight.

I can't comment on the Sharp from personal experience, but all reviews point towards it having "acceptable text clarity". Whether that's good enough for you I don't know, but your viewing distance is large enough that it doesn't need to be pin-sharp imo.

deadmonkey

Are you talking about as your only monitor?

If you've got a secondary display that's nearer for close text work, then you're ok, but if not I suspect you're compromising your ability to actually do any science by having a comparatively low resolution display for the size (and distance you'll be from it).

It will be great for video and graphic stuff, but if you're thinking you'll read some geeky website on it I'm pretty sure you'd need a big font for it to be legible, hence it could end up like working with an old 640x480 monitor, if you see what I mean?

You could split the difference and buy a 40-42 inch telly and a 20-24 inch monitor, I suspect probably even within the same budget?

boxrick

The only lcd tv's in my opinion that do decent pc use are the samsungs, a lot of the other makes panasonic, sony use enhancments that cant be turned of and spoil the use of pc, not saying samsung are the best for tv watching as there are many better but for multi use you cant beat them.

Id agree with this other televisions overprocess the image, giving a blurry and poor computer image. Samsungs have plenty of options to just disable all this... Allowing a none overscanned and zero processed picture...

Alternatively a dell 3008wfp with 2560 x 1600 resolution is pretty good for pc monitor... also has various inputs such as component, HDMI just no TV tuner inside.

holmesadam2009

Standard Member
Well currently I do have a 22" widescreen along side a 17" monitor. I could Duplicate my primary monitor onto the large LCD so that I could compromise between the different possibiities I come across but I would prefer if I was able to use the large LCD for most things. I think that the resolution that I currently would be the same that is set to the large LCD so would the text of a website for example not actually be bigger than the standard monitor...

Cheers...

deadmonkey

The only lcd tv's in my opinion that do decent pc use are the samsungs, a lot of the other makes panasonic, sony use enhancments that cant be turned of and spoil the use of pc.

That's a sweeping generalisation and slightly incorrect to boot I'm afraid. When I bought my Sony 32" the reason I chose it instead of the comparable Panasonic was because the enhancements were configurable in the options and you can do it on a per input basis. I'm pretty sure that on my model some of them are not even selectable on the pc input anyway.

I could Duplicate my primary monitor onto the large LCD so that I could compromise between the different possibiities I come across but I would prefer if I was able to use the large LCD for most things. I think that the resolution that I currently would be the same that is set to the large LCD so would the text of a website for example not actually be bigger than the standard monitor...

If your graphics card has dual dvi outputs then you wouldn't need to choose or compromise, you could connect both simultaneously and extend your desktop across both, so you could choose which thing to put on which of the two displays, which is much more geeky and therefore of course better :D

Last edited:

holmesadam2009

Standard Member
Well i guess thats what I have to do then, But surely there must an LCD that is not that bad so that I "HAVE" to use dual monitor, I will actually be using 3 monitors when this comes lol, I currently have an extended monitor With VGA and DVI, I have a spare HDMI and VGA left to use, but to be honest I would like everything to be viewable on one screen, i.e. not use everything on one screen but if I wanted I would be able to place anything on there that is needed. This would make it much easier to use.

Cheers,

P.s Can you get HDMI cables that are about 5 metres long, not looked yet but that would be about the length that I would need. BUT would it affect the quality...

Last edited:

deadmonkey

If you use it as an extended desktop you have (when I do it with my nvidia powered card at least) one which is your primary that has the start menu on it. Things will launch on that by default and I can then drag them onto the other display. Most programs (I think) will try to launch next time on whichever window you used them on last, that's at least what various chat clients have done on my machine.

And yes plenty of 5m hdmi cables about too :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom