Large format printing

wabbitt

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to tell you people about this site.

Intelligence-direct

I sent a photo (of a wedding shot) to them to be printed on canvas, at A2 size. I added an extra 2" around the image so that I could wrap it around a wooden wrap-around frame.

There service was excellent. They called me to see if I needed an extra 1" of white canvas so I could staple it to the wrap-around frame which of course I'd forgotten about.

The print arrived two days later, and I have 14 days to pay... if I'm happy with the quality, which of course I am.

It came laminated too, which gives UV protection. I was worried it was going to make the print too glossy, but it's fantastic.

I went for the cheap option, so with all of the above I got it for £25.

Believe me when I say this is the best value for money I have ever seen for a canvas print.... fantastic.

I can grab some photo's of it tonight if anyone asks for it.

That is very cheap for canvas printing mate, would like to see a photo of what it look like :thumbsup:

yeah..........me to

sounds like a good price

:smashin:

it is cheap, but then you need a frame and wrap it yourself. Do they have any prices for prewrapped canvases? Thats usually what other services supply.

Wouldn't mind a pic when you've got it all sorted out.

richard plumb said:
it is cheap, but then you need a frame and wrap it yourself. Do they have any prices for prewrapped canvases? Thats usually what other services supply.

Wouldn't mind a pic when you've got it all sorted out.

It looks like an A2 print on framed canvas (white artist canvas) including p&p and VAT comes to about £50.00

I'd say thats about average.

redmax said:
It looks like an A2 print on framed canvas (white artist canvas) including p&p and VAT comes to about £50.00

I'd say thats about average.

I would say its rather cheap cos the equivalent from Photobox is £99.95!!

I think one has to be careful when comparing because of the shoddy materials some companies use.

A search soon found this site whcih is always in PP every month.
A2 - £58.00

I would expect photobox to be top quality but then again you will pay for it.

:smashin:

Honestly.. this is cheap.

I'm going to make my own frame, after all I have a jigsaw (with a laser guide of course ;) ), and i have an electric staple gun. The wood cost me £3 from B&Q.

I'm going to make the frame tonight, so I'll take pics of the canvas before and after mounting.
Edit: PS forgot to mention richard. They have a price calculator on their site.

wabbitt said:
Honestly.. this is cheap.

I'm going to make my own frame, after all I have a jigsaw (with a laser guide of course ;) ), and i have an electric staple gun. The wood cost me £3 from B&Q.

I'm going to make the frame tonight, so I'll take pics of the canvas before and after mounting.
What canvas grade did you have your print on?

Pirate!! said:
What canvas grade did you have your print on?

Since this photo was not for the couple in mind, and only for my personal portfolio I got it printed onto the cheapest canvas, i.e. the 250gm weight. Plus it's the first time I've used them.

But it's good enough, and I actually think it will be easier to mount. If I were to actually get this printed for the couple I think I would go for a slightly heavier canvas, but even that is only a few pounds more expensive.

Wabbitt

When you post your pics can you include some detail about how you put the actual frame together?

Thanks

wabbitt said:
Since this photo was not for the couple in mind, and only for my personal portfolio I got it printed onto the cheapest canvas, i.e. the 250gm weight. Plus it's the first time I've used them.

But it's good enough, and I actually think it will be easier to mount. If I were to actually get this printed for the couple I think I would go for a slightly heavier canvas, but even that is only a few pounds more expensive.
Yeah, I concur. The cost difference is marginal, but I noted they do not have a gallery to show the final results on all their media which is a shame, as then at least we could see the differences between one and the other.

This is an excellent find. I did some cost comparisons, and this has to be the site of the week! I trust when you post a picture of your canvas image, you do it justice.

redmax said:
Wabbitt

When you post your pics can you include some detail about how you put the actual frame together?

Thanks

No problems. It should be fairly easy, but I'll take some piccys of the frame being assembled.

its difficult to photograph the differences between weights of printed canvas pirate. This price is very good, and i did not long ago promise someone id get something printed on canvas for the, i shall be interested to see your frame and the print you have

I got in touch with I.D. via email. They said they do not post their product images/samples online. Instead, they send out a samples book of all their products, so I requested one. Should be interesting.

I'll advise when received if anyone is interested.

Really! I didn't realise they did that.

Yes I'd be very interested in what you receive.

I know that I'm very happy with this canvas weight, but it would be good to compare the other heavier stuff, and also some of the other mediums they do!

:thumbsup:

As promised here are a few photos of the frame I've put together for this photo along with the final assembly.

Only took about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• webtools.jpg
    webtools.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 96
  • webframe.jpg
    webframe.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 84
  • webassembly.jpg
    webassembly.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 77
  • webstaples.jpg
    webstaples.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 76
  • webfinal.jpg
    webfinal.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 107
looks good
Is that some kind of tissue paper you put on before the canvas?

It actually came with the canvas. I think it was used to prevent scratching whilst in transit and I thought it might be a good way to help stop the frame from pushing through the canvas at the corners.

I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing.... about £28 quid all together.

yeah it is a nice shot... woman looks beautiful and its a classy pose. To me.. This print looks like a largeformat print from something like an encad 850 which i have in work. It looks particuarly like 250gsm kodak satin paper we use, kinda tough poly coated paper. IT doesnt seem to be stretched like normal canvas would be, i would perhaps have tried covering the print and ironing it around the corners while stretching (just grow some more hands its ok!) to make it look taut
your frame looks hella nice too, is it just pinned together? might have to look into this

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom