Large capacity discs (BD or HD) = more DVDs on one disc

Parmenion62

I was wondering if any manufacturer was thinking of using higher capacity BD or HD discs to put more DVD quality films onto one disc - I for one would welcome this - space is bcoming a premium so the more films you can get on one disc the better as far as I'm concerned. This could be really good for series for instance. I am happy enough with DVD quality - my room is not big enough to take anything more than a 32" screen.

booth1976

A lot of HD-DVD/Blu Ray discs have their extras in SD so I don't see why this couldn't happen.

MikeK

It's a possibility, but it's currently proving hard enough to convince people to buy a HD player to play HD content, let alone trying to convince them to buy one to play SD content!

Sonic67

Banned
I don't think I'd like it. PE packs the disk in nicely in a small space. Is it that much hassle to have a few disks rather than one. It also means you can find what you are after quicker. Put the right disk in and theres just one or two programmes. Put one fat disk in and there's probably multiple menu screens. How much are we talking? If I'm getting SD quality I want SD prices. Anyway once you have HD it's a wrench going back to SD.

Cocksure

Call me a cynic, but why would they? They can make more money selling 5 sep discs than 1 complete (tv shows etc), besides not everyone would want to buy these all in discs as they might already have some of the films on them.

dbs2

Banned
I was wondering if any manufacturer was thinking of using higher capacity BD or HD discs to put more DVD quality films onto one disc - I for one would welcome this - space is bcoming a premium so the more films you can get on one disc the better as far as I'm concerned. This could be really good for series for instance. I am happy enough with DVD quality - my room is not big enough to take anything more than a 32" screen.

Could that be done personally with either of the HD Writer's or would copy protection mess things up ??

Lrrr

It would be handy for Star Trek. A complete set of TNG and Voyager runs to about 100 DVDs.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
It's a possibility, but it's currently proving hard enough to convince people to buy a HD player to play HD content, let alone trying to convince them to buy one to play SD content!

I have a mate at work, and he says he'll upgrade from DVD when he can get the entire 'Avengers' on one disc.

This may be an excellent way to sell high def discs to the public.

You can get c.4 hours on a dual-layed DVD, so that's about 14 hours on a 30gb HD DVD. There are currently lots of boxed-sets covering 4, 5 or 6 discs which you could fit on 1 or 2 discs.

'The Prisoner', complete with extras & alternate versions, on a double disc, in a nice slimline case, anyone?

Steve W

iain1970

Standard Member
I can see the attraction of putting an entire series of an old TV show on to one disc. Much more convenient for retail and mail order as well.

It will need HD discs to be much more mainstream before I can see it happening and I would worry that some companies could end up dumping old material on the market this way instead of investing in a proper HD version.

peterweg

Banned
If people were faced with a choice of a big TV series for £50 on an SD DVD boxed-set or £20 on a HD DVD in a slim case, I think that'd win a lot of people over to high def.

Steve W

I think they would charge more for the HDM version simply because its more convenient and smaller for the customer. HD formats are not about saving consumers money, quite the opposite.

Sonic67

Banned
I think the more money you spend the more you want to see something for your money. With DVD you can make the disks double sided. No one bothers as having a muti-disk box set raises the perception you are getting something special for your money. So we get Lord Of The Rings in a four disk box set rather than two double sided DVDs.

The Star Trek box set might be huge but if the price is high then I think you will be less happy if you only get a couple of disks.

Also if it's a re-release who will shell out again? If you own a Star Trek boxset the only gain you make is a bit more shelf space. If the disks are HD then the shelf space is the same but you gain in quality. Most might rebuy a series for a gain in quality rather than a gain in shelf space.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom