1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large black bars top and bottom of screen?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steve 111, Dec 6, 2004.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When playing a region 1 version of Star Wars - A New Hope on a 42" Panny Viera my Dad gets a 6" bar at the bottom of the screen and a 4" bar at the top of the screen, when viewing in 16:9 mode. All his region 2 discs and Sky work fine.

Anyone any suggestions on why this might be.

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +836
    It is normal to get black bars at the top and bottom as DVD's are often released in formats wider than 16:9

What is unusual is that the bars are of unequal size - you would expect them to be almost exactly the same.

On the monitor versions of the panel, it is possible to move the picture up and down - I believe someone posted a thread on here explaining how to do it on the Viera.

You need to run a test DVD (Avia or DVE) and set the panel up properly.

Regards,

Steve

3. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Steve,

I take your point but if it was a vertical positioning issue surely it would show up on on all signals?

Also, even if this image was positioned in the centre of the screen there would be 5" top and bottom. On my region 2 version of A New Hope I get just over 2" of black bar top and bottom on my 42" PWD6 so 5" seems a little excessive.

4. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Very large black bars could be due to the DVD player outputting the picture in letterbox widescreen format and not anamorphic widescreen format. This would be case if the DVD player was set to output to a 4:3 tv. However, region 2 disks display correctly, so perhaps the DVD player has a problem with region 1 disks and is ignoring the widescreen 16:9 TV setting. Does the region 1 star wars film look more normal when the Viera is put into zoom mode instead of 16:9 wide mode?

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Sounds like THe over scan needs adjusting for NTSC signals. this can be done by making adjustments in the service menu. There is a thread on the forums called VIera over scan craked. This should help.
    You will probabley find that the you will have to adjust PAL, NTSC, both in wide, zoom , and 4.3 modes.

If it is not an overscan issue. make sure the dvd player is set to anamorphic wide. If its not and the plyer is out putting a progressive scan signal then the image will be a bit squashed and you will have large bars as opposed to smaller ones.