large amount of space missing

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Colonel Panic, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of times I've tried to cancel recordings that are in progress, only to have the TV Drive continue recording for 10+ hours. This happened again last night. I've rebooted (power off/on) but the ghost recording is not listed. I've got about 30 hours of recorded programs, but only have 18 hours remaining - so something is occupying about 30 hours worth of space. Any ideas on how to recover this space, other than a format of the drive?

2. Snoodge

Snoodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are any of your recordings HD, from BBCHD or ITVHD. If so they take up a lot more space, up to five times more, and hence the 30 hours of presumed missing space.

3. def

def

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yup, I've had that bug as well. I'm bug-central for tvdrive problems. What you probably did was delete the recording while it was still going. The TVDrive absolutely hates being told to stop recording before the end of the scheduled record. It doesn't know how to stop recording early.

Only solution is to format it.

4. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The time remaining takes account of the extra space that HD content occupies.

5. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't delete it, but I did try and stop it while it was recording. It then carried on recording all night until I reset the box. It's done this several times now. It's a bit rubbish, as it means you can't stop a recording if you want to record something else.

6. warrej

warrej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I did this today. Watched the grand prix qualifying on delay, and then deleted the programme before it had finished recording. The TV Drive carried on recording and the available recording time did not increase.

However when I looked back later, it came up in the listing as "recovered content", and allowed me to delete it properly, resulting in the space available being increased.

Worked fine for me :thumbsup:

7. micflair

micflair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Sometimes it can be deleted like that, other times (like mine) you cant do nothing about it, you just have to format it..

8. galthop

galthop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    How do you format the drive? Mine has 'lost' 24 hours somewhere. With all the recorded programs deleted I only get 56 hours free.

9. bjjgann

bjjgann

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  10. galthop

galthop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14