1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laputa DVD?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Rummy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Rummy

Rummy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Disney Dubb of Laputa any good? haven't heard it even though I own the DVD... I'm afraid.

-Rummers Farce

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Rummy,

The vast majority of Disney' English-language dubs are - in my opinion - dire! Even though they've used famous Hollywood stars, their hearts just aren't in it, and they don't seem to have any humanity in their voices. As such, all the characters all sound very dull, and boring and monotone.

Stick to the subtitled versions, with the original Japanese-language audio! You'll enjoy the films much more. :)

Pooch

3. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think they quite a good job.
    It must be a far harder task trying to lipsinc Jap animation and I think the actors managed to carry it off.
    This is one of Miyazaki best and the dubbing doesn't spoil the magic.

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The John Lassister (sp!) intro is the worst part on the R1 disc.
    It just makes me cringe everytime. The R4 (Madman) release doesn't have the intro.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

I also forgot to mention: "Laputa: Castle In The Sky" has been renamed by Disney to just "Castle In The Sky". The reason being, the word "laputa" means something offensive in Spanish. (It means bitch or whore!) Disney, being Disney, didn't want to offend anyone, and as such, renamed the film! :mad: I understand that they don't want to offend people, but if Disney don't like it, they should leave Miyazaki's works to a company that will treat them with respect, and not constantly demand to have the "House Of Mouse" stamp plastered all over them, be it in the form of dubbing, censorship, modified titles, 4:3 picture format, etc, etc. I hate Disney for what they've done to Miyazaki's beautiful films, and that's one of the many reason why I say import the Japanese R2 versions, and tell Disney to stick it's R1 jobs where Mickey can't sing! :mad: :mad:

Pooch

6. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Rant Mode On
    Rant Mode Off

Agree with eveything you said, Pooch.

7. Rummy

Rummy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had always thought the Disney/Ghibli relationship was strained at best.

If I recall, I thought most if any changes(by Disney) were to be OK'd by Miyazaki himself?

And, yeh... I tried the Dubb... but quickly changed audio tracks.

My Problem with the Disney dubbs is the fact that they recruit well known actors for the voices. I understand its a marketing ploy, and most of the times the actors actually jump at the chance to Voice a Miyazaki Dubb(hell, who wouldn't!!) due to their own love of his films, but it is due to the fact that they're Well Known that bugs me.

I love Janneane Garafolo but hearing her voice in Kiki's, just really throws me off. Same with the late/great Phil Hartman. The Dubbing/Syncing's not bad it just takes me out of the movie hearing some of the most beloved comics giving this little girl tips on life and philosophy rather than doing they're routine/bit.

Just me 2 bits.

-Rummy

8. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Is Laputa the one about a girl that has got an amulet/necklace that is some sort of key to activate giant flying robots, who gets rescued by a young boy who works for a blacksmith or someone and the pair of them get kidnapped by some sky pirates(who are husband, wife and retarded sons)?

If so I think I taped this off of ITV alot of Christmasses ago.

And if IIRC it rocks.

:offtopic: if they stopped using Laputa (roughly translates as "the whore") for this title have they altered the chapters of Gullivers Travels to reflect this as well or just because that's a book written X-amount of decades ago it gets by unscathed as it's classed as an important historical work of fiction??

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    LoveMunkey,

Nope. Gulliver's Travels still calls that island, Laputa. It's just "Disney" having a censorship wobbly, about it, and plus they don't want to offend any Spanish or Mexicans in the USA, with a film that Disney feels is aimed at kids! (You try getting kids to sit through two hours of "Laputa", and you'll find most of them will switch off. Heck, it's not exactly the simplest of plots to follow, even for adults! This is animation on a mature and intelligent level, far and away over any average Disney junk!)

Pooch

10. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A great movie, and one for me is just crying out for a live action version to be made.

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Princess Mononoke is excellently dubbed, and the voice acting is brilliant as well IMO.

12. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By the way, in France the DVD has been "renamed" to "le chateau dans le ciel" which is the same as for the R1 DVD, because, again, Laputa is very close tothe french "la pute" which obviously has the same meaning than the spanish...

But even worse is the fact that this DVD tends to land in the children's corner in many big shops such as Virgin megastore and Fnac... that's just plain stupid... It's ok for kids to whatch it, but it's an adventure movie just as indiana jones is not a mere kid's movie...

ok, rant mode off, thanks : )