Laptops with LED

F

flightd

Hi everyone.

Can anyone with some knowledge on screen technology and lighting tell me something about this new LED technology seen in more and more laptops?

First of all, I assume the LED is merely a back lighting, in laptops that market their screens as "LED" (such as the many netbooks/mini-notebooks as Acer Aspire One and ASUS EEE PC), is this correct? And what type of LED is it? Is it multi-colored LED or just "White LED"??

What about the so-called "blue hazard" that comes from White and Blue LED, which can damage the retina, and obviously also damage sleep patterns and influence melatonin hormone levels??? - Would that apply to the lights used in the screens and laptops screens using LED light??

Blue Hazard: There is increasing concern that blue LEDs and white LEDs are now capable of exceeding safe limits of the so-called blue-light hazard as defined in eye safety specifications such as ANSI/IESNA RP-27.1-05: Recommended Practice for Photobiological Safety for Lamp and Lamp Systems.[39][40]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED#cite_note-39
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED#Disadvantages_of_using_LEDs

So are these new LED lights that are being used more and more for screens, because they are enviornmentally friendly and "contain no mercury" and also use less power, are they really a hazard to health, and should one refrain from buying a screen with LED backlight?

What is your opinion?

Adcook

Distinguished Member
The LEDs are just for back light and not used to make up the individual pixels like those massive screens you see at public events. Im not certain about laptops but certainly large LCD TVs with LED backlights use a combination of Red, Green and Blue LEDs to generate the white light, they do not use white LEDs. I think probably the main reason why manufacturers are turning more to LEDS is to increase battery life of the laptop as they draw significantly less power than flourescent light tubes that have been used in the past, plus the price of LEDs is coming down all the time.

F

flightd

The LEDs are just for back light and not used to make up the individual pixels like those massive screens you see at public events. Im not certain about laptops but certainly large LCD TVs with LED backlights use a combination of Red, Green and Blue LEDs to generate the white light, they do not use white LEDs. I think probably the main reason why manufacturers are turning more to LEDS is to increase battery life of the laptop as they draw significantly less power than flourescent light tubes that have been used in the past, plus the price of LEDs is coming down all the time.

Ok but what do you think of the "health hazard" that it can pose? Is it something of concern, something that requires consideration when choosing a screen? - should one choose a screen with something else but LED backlight to avoid the "Blue Hazard", sleep disruptions and hormone imbalances?

xprezz

Standard Member
I work daily on a Dell XPS M1330 laptop with white LED backligt. Love the brightness and white over any other laptop I have ever had. When I go back to older laptops I always try to turn up the light when using in daylight conditions but they dont go bright enough any more..

I have no idea what blue hazard is but have not experienced anything health related from using my laptop..

S

surentechy

Ok but what do you think of the "health hazard" that it can pose? Is it something of concern, something that requires consideration when choosing a screen? - should one choose a screen with something else but LED backlight to avoid the "Blue Hazard", sleep disruptions and hormone imbalances?

YES thats true my frn LED is for backlight ..as some LCD screen alos use LED backlighting ,mainly you will saw this is HDTV but there is some new technology only with LED..in monitors and TV what we called LED TV, AND i don't think it will cause any health hazards it's just advnced version of LCD nothing else for better picture and calrity so don worry:D

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom