Laptops with HD/Blue Ray drives?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jensK, Sep 3, 2007.

1. jensK

jensK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I am thinking of buying a new labtop and was wondering if there are any labtops around that have the new HD/Blue Ray drives installed.

Thanks.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,398
    I summerised the Toshiba HD DVD equipped laptops in this post - but here is a brief summary:

HD DVD-ROM / DVD Multi Burner equipped Toshiba UK laptops:

Satellite P200-12D
    Satellite P200-12DIntel® Centrino® Duo processor technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7100/Vista HP/2048MB/200GB/17"Wide TruBrite® XGA+/ATI 128MB/HD DVD-ROM/WiFi 802.11agn/WebCam

Satellite A200-18M
    Satellite A200-18MIntel® Centrino® Duo processor technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7100/Vista HP/2048MB/250GB/15.4"Wide Trubrite™ XGA/HD DVD-ROM/ATI 256MB/WiFi 802.11agn/BTooth/WebCam

Satellite P200-123
    Satellite P200-123Intel® Centrino® Duo processor technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7300/Vista HP/2048MB/200+200GB/17"Wide TruBrite® XGA+/ATI 256MB/HD DVD-ROM/WiFi 802.11agn/BTooth/WebCam

Satellite X200-20S
    Satellite X200-20SIntel® Centrino® Duo processor technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7300/Vista HP/2048MB RAM + 1GB Intel® Turbo Memory/300GB/17"Wide TruBrite® SXGA+/NVIDIA 512MB/HD DVD-ROM/WiFi 802.11abg/BTooth/WebCamTPP

Qosmio G30-204
    Qosmio G30-204Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7400/Vista Ultimate/2048MB/200GB+200GB/17"Wide TruBrite™ UXGA/NVIDIA/HD DVD-ROM/DVD-RW SuperMulti(DL)/TV Tuner/WiFi 802.11abg/BTooth

More details and links on this webpage.

HD DVD-R Multi Burner equipped Toshiba UK laptops:

Qosmio G40-10E
    Qosmio G40-10EIntel® Centrino® Pro processor technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7300 with Intel® Turbo Memory/Vista Ultimate/2048MB/250GB/17"HD Wide TruBrite™ UXGA/NVIDIA 512MB/HD DVD-R/DVD-RW SuperMulti(DL)/TV Tuner/WiFi 802.11agn/BTooth/Webcam2.0

Qosmio G40-108
    Qosmio G40-108Intel® Centrino® Pro processor technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7700 with Intel® Turbo Memory/Vista Ultimate/2048MB/200GB+200GB/17"HD Wide TruBrite™ UXGA/NVIDIA 512MB/HD DVD-R/DVD-RW SuperMulti(DL)/TV Tuner/WiFi 802.11agn/BTooth/Webcam2.0

More details and links on this webpage.

These are just the tip of the iceberg though - Acer, Dell, HP, Rock Systems, Samsung and Sony all offer BluRay and/or HD DVD drives for some of their systems. No combi drives yet though - given Hitachi-LGs dual stance it can't be that long before we see on though.

3. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
  4. Parmenion62

Parmenion62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I also have the FZ11Z laptop and it is great! I dont know of any laptops that have a dual format player though.

5. jensK

jensK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  6. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    No worries! :cool:

7. Ryan_IMM

Ryan_IMM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there...

Just bought the VGN-FZ11Z too... Looks great. I succeeded on the weekend connecting the laptop via HDMI to my Pioneer PDP-435XDE media box... But do you think I could get digital audio to my Denon AVR1601 Amp via optical cable... Not on your life.

Have you successfully hooked your laptop up to your Amp and if so, how? I'm thinking of investing in a Octava HDS4A-UK HDMI and Digital Audio switch, but want to be sure the audio part of the signal is even leaving the VGN-FZ11Z before I spend £200!

Would appreciate thoughts/advice.

Out of interest, currently my Pioneer DV-868AVi-S DVD player occupies one of the Pioneer HDMI inputs and the coaxial digital audio port on my Denon AVR-1601 amp, whilst my Virgin Media V+ box occupies the other HDMI port and the optical audio input port of the amp - so a switch unit is a must going forward anyway.

8. doshim

doshim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Anyone correct me if i am wrong, but do you not need hdmi version 1.3 in order to carry the digital audio to your destination. Also might depend what type of sound card you have installed on your pc/laptop.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    You don't need HDMI 1.3, just 1.1 is enough, but it's a grey area with PCs, do they or don't they pass audio on HDMI....

10. ashepherd

ashepherd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  11. jensK

jensK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41

Hi Rasczak,

Thanks for your post. I am just about to buy a new labtop right now. What is your opinion on the best performing Labtop with HD DVD and HDMI output.

I want to have a very powerful computer and HDMI output as well. As far as I am concerned that doesn't go together on the Toshiba range. Their lower performing model has a HDMI output and the higher clocked model don't do HDMI (this is based the information from their webpage). Are there any other alternatives around?

Many thanks

R

Jens

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,398
    Sorry for the delay replying - I missed your post.

TBH I am not really the best person to advise you on that. I ave actually just purchased a new laptop for myself but gaming, and not high def playback, was my core aim. I purchased from Rock and was amazed when I got a HD DVD/DVDR combi drive included in the package without me asking (or paying) for it :eek: Apparently it is their new policy - HD DVD drives in all new systems. No HDMI though so probably wouldn't suit your needs.

I suggest asking on the computer forum.

13. Batch

Batch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    University: Lancaster, Home: Cambridgeshire
    Ratings:
    +200
    All Rock laptops now ship with a HD DVD drive as standard.

14. ykhan16

ykhan16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've also got a Rock laptop (Xtreme 770) with a HD DVD drive and its very good indeed- I have to say that the display is simply fantastic!

Worth noting that its only got a DVI output and not an HDMI output. Also the digital audio output is on the front of the laptop- so there's the slight annoyance of having a cable sticking out from the front whenever it hooked up to my plasma and amp.

Must admit that it is quite an expensive laptop though especially compared to the Toshiba's (but they're got poorer displays, are worse with games and come with slower hard drives). If anyone's looking for a blu ray laptop you might try looking for the older Dell M1710 perhaps off ebay. Performance wise about as good as a Rock and they intially came with the option of a blu ray burner drive (though not any more for some reason).

15. peterweg

peterweg
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
  16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,398
    If this is a massive snag for anyone Creative do a series of Notebook X-Fi cards which just slot in the expansion slot. Coupled with this accessory you effectively get 5.1 outputs as per a desktop X-Fi card. Software permitting, and I'm not sure what the state of that is at present, then you could output TrueHD/DTS-HD MA.

17. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Late response but yes. To get the sound you have to click on the volume icon and select HDMI as the output.

18. fluff34567

fluff34567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    acer 5920 has a HD drive and HDMI its under £800 now.