1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptops and power

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jmack, Mar 21, 2003.

1. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi my freind has left his battery and power pack in a hotel some where, he has another power pack off another type ove laptop can this be used with it ? and can it be used with out a battery ?

will this do any harm?
    do they all use the same power supply ?

its a compaq presario and the spare power pack he has is off a sony viao from 3 years ago, it says 19.5v on the power pack

thanks guys

2. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the connections are the same (I seem to remember Sony used a proprietary 'needle in ring' type connector then your friend needs to check that the voltage, current and polarity are the same as the one he lost. If they match (or the current is within 1/10 Amp) then you should be OK - be careful not to use a power supply with a much higher voltage though as this could cause the charging current to arc.

I'm sure someone else more knowledgable will post here with the 'right' answer but hope this helps :)

Gaz
    -x-