1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop with media centre other than Toshiba?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Wheels496, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Wheels496

Standard Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Can anyone advise me please?

I’m toying with the idea of purchasing a laptop for my bedroom and possibly to take on holiday and possibly demonstrating web sites.

As well as being a PC I’d like it to play music, DVD and TV. I really want an “instant on” facility for these media items. Am I correct in saying that I could only have these facilities with Windows Media Centre?

Some laptops (Rock, HP) appear to have “instant on” but only for music and DVD but not television-am I correct? I would also require a remote control facility.

As far as I can see, only Toshiba currently make Windows Media Centre laptops? Anyone know whether other manufacturers will launch shortly. Yes the Toshiba’s are nice machines but they are more expensive than I’d like to pay.

Admittedly I could save money and just purchase a normal laptop and do without “instant on” but I want to thoroughly investigate the media centre option first.

I have another requirement. I need it needs to be capable of accepting a PS2 keyboard and mouse. Although I plan limited keyboard and mouse work on this PC, any extensive work would have to be done using another computer connected up (I’m physically disabled and there’s no point in describing this other equipment-it’s unusual and not relevant to my enquiry apart from the PS2 requirement). Presumably a docking station would satisfy satisfy yes these requirements?