Laptop with 512MB dedicated graphics + i series processor

KrisPWales

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need a laptop with at least 512Mb dedicated graphics and an i series processor (pref i5). I am not looking to pay more than £500. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

You won't get an i5 with dedicated graphics for that price I wouldn't think.

Just recommended this to a work mate who bought it and was really pleased with it.

Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 Laptop - Laptops | Ebuyer.com Lenovo IdeaPad Z560 £434.92

If you want something that can play decent games then you need to look for a NVidia 330/335 GPU or AT HD 5650 or better.

I use a Toshiba SatPro L650-1CG when away from home, which has an i3 350M and 1GB HD 5650 and with a bit of GPU overclock gets over 8,000 on 3DMark06 and plays all recent games smoothly at default res of 1366x768 at Med/High settings. But its £600 (can get it for ~£535 if you have a trade in laptop at Laptops Direct Toshiba Satellite Pro L650-1CG Core i3 Laptop PSK1KE-01S01UEN - Laptops Direct)

From Laptops Direct Site:

What can you trade in?

To qualify for this promotion your trade in laptop must:

be no more than four (4) years old
be complete with AC adaptor, battery and DVD drive
be in good working order with no damage to the screen or keyboard

Qualifying trade in laptop brands

Toshiba, HP, HP Compaq, Dell, Sony, Samsung, Acer, IBM, Lenovo, Packard Bell, Fujitsu, eMachines, Medion, Gateway or Asus

Last edited:
unless you're going the route of the Dell Outlet etc you're not going to get a decent i5 system for that money.

did see this core i3 system with a 2 year warranty:

Buy Toshiba Satellite L650-108 Laptop, Intel Core i3, 320GB, 2.13GHz, 4GB RAM with 15.6 Inch Display online at JohnLewis.com

Thats effectively a lower spec version of mine.

The offer at Laptops Direct gets you a sightly better processor in the form of the i3 350M, far superior 5650 GPU, has Windows 7 Pro 64 bit rather than the Home version, Gigabit ethernet, but has 2GB less memory (not used anything that needs over 2GB myself). *Assuming you can meet the trade in deal as its £600 most other places.
My L650-1CG gets a Win7 WIE of 6.4 for the CPU and 6.8 (OC'ed) for the GPU.

Get around 3,800 3DMark 06 with the HD 5145 compared to 6,700 for the HD 5650 (according to notebookcheck data). But I get 8,000 score with mine with OC.

The Lenovo laptop at £434 has a 310M GPU and that gets 3,360 3DMark06 score.

Last edited:
Game wise, I can't see myself playing anything more advanced than World of Warcraft.

Generaly speaking, what are Lenova laptops like? I hadn't heard of them until recently.

Game wise, I can't see myself playing anything more advanced than World of Warcraft.

Generaly speaking, what are Lenova laptops like? I hadn't heard of them until recently.

Lenovo were the company that took over IBM Thinkpad. Generally well regarded. Sounds like the ebuyer one I linked should be ideal for you too.

My work mate said he was impressed with build quality & screen but haven't seen it myself.

Thats effectively a lower spec version of mine.

I know :thumbsup: wasn't a definite suggestion but just trying to give OP a sense of what the budget buys :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom