1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

laptop vs. DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Edt, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all.. first post on here so greetings!

We're moving house & if funds stretch I'm going to treat myself to a projector.. somethings like the BenQ 6100 or similar. Now.. my question is should I use a decent DVD player & go component in, or get myself a nice laptop, use a good DVD player app, and go in VGA ? (SVGA or XGA or whatever). The size of the image wont go beyond 2 metres across btw. Not fussed about big audio.. size of the room wont cope with speakers everywhere.

thanks all!

Ed

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    laptop sound will be very poor, suggest you look at good DVD player and stereo amp and speakers there are some nice small speakers and things about Def tech etc etc

3. Edt

Edt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I tested playing a DivX film on TV a few night back, picture was great fullscreen (need a faster laptop though to keep framerate up). Sound went straight into my Arcam amp using a quality mini jack > pair of RCAs & was fine to my ear.. set the levels on the laptop near max & controlled vol with the amp.

Wondering really if a mid price LCD/DLP projector will perform better with a DVD player using component or a laptop with VGA...

Ed