Question Laptop up to 14'' with really good display

zalek

Standard Member
Hi guys

Looking for a laptop for my partner. However, I have pretty much lost touch with what is going on with computers and I am in not much better position to make a choice then her. At the moment the old one is 6 years old and giving up life. It's 14'' and the size is perfect (one of the most important features). So hoping for some help here.

What it will be used for:
watching movies, internet (likely a lot of tabs opened at the same time), email, MS office - pretty much no gaming at all

Price range:
Ideally up 650 pounds but for something very special could stretch to 750 pounds

Most important feature:
Best display possible for the money for watching movies and 13'' to 14'' screen size

Other important features:
Speakers - not looking for an amazing sound but certainly nothing terrible either;
hard drive - no less than 256GB (but it's not important to be bigger than that really)

I have found couple that may look like a not a bad choice but honestly could do with some comments:
HP ENVY 13-d061sa 13.3"
Lenovo Essential E31-70 Laptop
HP Zbook 14 G2 14"
Dell Latitude E5450 14"

If perhaps someone has a suggestion or even better, has a 13''-14'' laptop that they can recommend I would be most grateful. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Slawek

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You'd have to check some reviews, but I wouldn't expect a business focused machine like the Dell Latitude or something with essential in the title to offer particularly stunning screens. The other two are a bit more likely.

Asus' Zenbook series tends to include good screens at around this price, what about a UX303LA? Prices look a little out of budget at your moment, but they have been to £650 and under in the past so it may just be a pre-christmas hike.

zalek

Standard Member
Thanks EndlessWaves. Will keep in mind your comment about the business focused laptops.
And yes, the UX303LA would definitely be out of our price range unless it drops. However, I looked up some online reviews and the comments were not the best regarding the screen.

I really have my eyes on Asus UX305 as they speak highly of the screen but apparently the sound is not that good and on top of that it has only 128GB which I cannot convince my partner will be more than enough for what she needs (and we have NAS for storing videos, music and photos).

BTW, any owners of Asus UX305 here? Would love to hear your comments regarding the sound from the perspective of watching movies.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thanks EndlessWaves. Will keep in mind your comment about the business focused laptops.
And yes, the UX303LA would definitely be out of our price range unless it drops. However, I looked up some online reviews and the comments were not the best regarding the screen.

That's not the same screen, it's a 1600x900 panel rather than the 1920x1080 panel the ones currently being sold in the UK use.

broona

zalek

Standard Member
Thanks broona but that price is indeed out of my price range. For what it will be used I just cannot justify the expense

EndlessWaves, I have found the UX303LA in a different configuration on this website. I assume it is still the same one (would look like having the same display) but with less powerful spec.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member

I really have my eyes on Asus UX305 as they speak highly of the screen but apparently the sound is not that good and on top of that it has only 128GB which I cannot convince my partner will be more than enough for what she needs (and we have NAS for storing videos, music and photos).

BTW, any owners of Asus UX305 here? Would love to hear your comments regarding the sound from the perspective of watching movies.

Bought my wife a UX305 and like it a lot. nice and compact - bit like a MacBook Air, nice 1080p screen and light. For the use you describe it'll be more than enough.

The 128GB SSD really shouldn't be an issue. I would prefer a smaller SSD than a larger HDD for laptops these days. They are fundamental to making your laptop feel snappy in use because they are so much faster than a HDD, plus no moving parts so no issues bumping it about.

Haven't used it to watch a movie at high volume levels - if I was caring about sound quality I'd likely plug some headphones into any laptop or tablet anyway.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member

zalek

Standard Member
Thanks a lot richard. After two more visits to a shop, quite a few more hours of research, my partner decided, in the end, that she wants Lenovo Yoga 3 14''. Why? Because it is convertible and actually she likes that. Would have been good to know a week or two earlier and would have saved me a lot of trouble.

Anyway, anyone with hands on experience of this one?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom