• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Laptop touchpad and key letters '3EDC' no longer work

PraxxtorCruel

Standard Member
This happened right after a relative of mine attempted to open the computer and clean inside. Something must've gone wrong when he lifted the keyboard off and must've pulled some wiring. I'm not all that knowledgeable in hardware myself but if I needed to find replacement ribbons/cables for the laptop how would I go about it? Do the parts need to be from the exact same model? Can I just grab any touchpad ribbon cable and keyboard ribbon cable? The laptop in question is a Toshiba P300D.

Thank you in advance!

sparky10

Hi, you could be right, after the keyboard was removed the cable to keyboard may not have been correctly replaced. Before spending any money remove the keyboard again and check for a loose cable or the cable connector between the keyboard and motherboard, nothing to lose by doing this first. I attach a link below with instructions and illustrations on how to do this.

Toshiba Satellite P305 P300 disassembly guide - Page 1

MarkE19

I've had a few keys not work, and even the touch pad be unresponsive after removing them in the past. In many cases the cables are just compression joints and poor contact can be made. So as advised I would just try removing the cables and then reseating them to see if everything starts working again - they did for me.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom